PDA

View Full Version : Bleached polyps

greckel
09/08/2005, 11:26 PM
I would like to know if there is a way to bring back the color to bleached polyps. I have two instances of bleaching with some zoos and some kind of mushrooms. I have been thinking that maybe feeding them would help but I have no idea what kind of food is preferable(brine shrimp or mysis?). Anyway, the shrooms fell victim to a heater that quit regulating (never stopped heating) and the zoos were physically damaged (I saw them expell their zooxanthellae). Please let me know any info that can help me.
Thanks

greckel
09/08/2005, 11:33 PM
Sorry, I forgot the zoanthus pics. Thanks again for your advice.

Harville
09/09/2005, 02:31 AM
What is the temp in your tank?

greckel
09/09/2005, 02:10 PM
The current temperature in my tank is 79.8 F. The causes of bleaching are no mystery, I just want to know if there is a way that I can restore the affected polyps to their former glory. I have them under 50/50 power compacts (about roughly 2watts per gallon which I feel is right for these polyps because everything else is thriving, including other polyps of the same species that were not injured). Only RO water goes into the tank and water changes are carried out at 70% every other week. Strontium, Iodine, and Calcium are supplimented on a regular basis. Lights stay on for 12-14 hours a day. I never feed the corals (I feed the only fish in the tank, bicolor psuedocromis, from a pipet so that no extra food is left in the water). The only solution for the corals that I have considered is a light feeding regiment. Bleaching no longer occurs in the tank, I assure you. I simply want to repair what damage has been done. They have looked the same, stark white, for an entire year. If there is another way to stimulate the symbiotic relation of these polyps with their zooxanthellae, to restore health and color, then please let me know. I am waiting for comformation that feeding could work before I try it. Thanks