PDA

View Full Version : Return pump question?

ttu rob
09/08/2005, 07:59 PM
I have a 90 gallon reef with an in tank overflow. Exit pipe is 1" drain with approx 13" linear overflow. Return would be 3/4" with approx. 5' total head loss (4' vert 1' horrizontal). I'm trying to decide on the return pump. I used the reef central calc. and found that a mag 12 would give me approx 810 gph return. Anyone have any suggestions as to which pump might be best for this set up? How many gph should I be trying to strive for? I currently have mostly softies but would like to have some acros (will need to upgrade lighting in the future but like Johnny Cash sang...."One piece at a time....(except will cost me a dime or two)") One last question: How big would my sump have to be? Currently it's 20.5" x 9.5" x 15". Thanks in advance for your help.

rob

BBoley24
09/08/2005, 08:29 PM
hey... im at tech also... sorry cant help you but if you ever wanna sell something... im your man to buy lol jk... giv3e me a holla im at the lynnwood townhomes

lessans
09/08/2005, 10:52 PM
That sounds about right (mag 12)since you'll also have powerheads, I presume, which also circulate the water.

drjrose
09/08/2005, 11:13 PM
I like the Mag Drive line of pumps as well. I have had some running for more that 3 years non-stop.

My FP residency in Abilene is under Tech. =-)

ttu rob
09/09/2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the replies. Mag 12 it is. Can't really beat the price for the flow. I just hope it dosn't sound like a tank. Keep those guns up and bazin' yall.:uzi: ahhhh close enough :D

rob