PDA

View Full Version : Live Sand and Rock questions

Riclat
09/08/2005, 07:46 PM
Back with some more questions. I'm the guy with the 46g bowfront SeaClear System II (http://www.casco-group.com/system2aqua.html)

I'd like to use about 1" of live sand in the tank. How many pounds will that be? Also, what type of sand should I get and from whom?

I'm going to take out the bioballs and use live rock in the bio chamber. Should all of the live rock be below the water level in the chamber or is it okay for some to be above, with the saltwater dripping on it?

Still trying to figure out a good skimmer that will work with this system. I think a Remora hang-on with a Rio800 will fit. That pump will fit into the skimmer chamber.

Riclat

reefwick
09/08/2005, 07:53 PM
there is a sand bed calculator on the home page. Type is gonna be up to you but sounds like you need to do alot more researching anyways.

bertoni
09/08/2005, 10:49 PM
You could get a bit of live sand from billsreef.com, if you want, although just using all dead sand might be okay for a 1" sandbed.

I'd keep all the live rock submerged, but having a bit peaking out probably won't cause any problems.

The Remora and Remora Pro get generally decent reviews. You could also look at the CoraLife SuperSkimmers, if they come in a HOB configuration.

Riclat
09/09/2005, 02:46 PM
Thanks.

Unfortunately, the pump on the CoraLife Super Skimmer is too big to fit down my sump's skimmer chamber.

Riclat