PDA

View Full Version : Meh!!

BloBBeBo
09/08/2005, 07:06 PM
FINALLYYY I got my aquarium! If you can believe it, (if you've read some of my other posts, you'll know my difficulties..) the SECOND aquarium she shipped out was broken as well!!! Well that just blew it. I decided to just goto petco and buy my own aquarium, having her refund me on just the tank itself. NOW I finally have my aquarium all set up in my room, I have 20 lbs of aragonite sand in it. I decided to get that because of all the hoopla about it on here, instead of what the LFS guy told me to get, which was crushed coral. I hear thats bad for some reason? I can't remember why right now...I'm about 1/5 of the way done of filling up my tank. It's tedius, because my RO system only has about 2 or 3 gallons in it. I'm using some of my well water as well though, because it's not chlorinated and it's completely harmful hard-metal free. The only thing about it is that it's EXTREMELY hard water. Lots of calcium. Will that harm my ickle fishies? Also, I'm not sure where to start next with the cycling process once I have the tank filled and my salt in, aerated and everything. How long do I have to wait to get LR? And then how long do I have to wait to get my first fish? I'd really like a lawnmower blenny, I think they're the sweetest little things ever. I'm just not sure what else I could fit in my tiny 29 gallon? Maybe a couple clownfish....I really like tangs, but I know a 29 gallon is far too small for one. I saw this little fish in the store that was on the bottom of the tank, gulping substrate and passing it through it's gills! I watched it for a few minutes, and decided it was one of the cutest fish I had ever seen. What kind is it? It looked sort of like a blenny but I don't think it is one...I know I have a lot of questions in one post but I'm new and I'm very excited if you can tell!!! Thank you verryy veryy much in advance, MUCH LOVE!
-Krys

reefwick
09/08/2005, 07:10 PM
Check out the thread "so you got a fish tank newbie" it'll explain so much there. For starters I wouldn't use any other water than RO. Water quality is key in this hobby. I know it'll take longer but have patience. Get the LR and sand in there ASAP so you can begin to cycle and get on your way to stocking. It'll still be a farily long wait but nothing good comes fast in this hobby. Just research what you want real good before you put it in there.

xtrstangx
09/08/2005, 09:31 PM
The fish is one of the many sand-sifting gobies.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=1851

sixliner6
09/09/2005, 12:51 AM
I wouldn't get a lawnmower blenny for a good while . They need alot of algae to eat. The fish eating sand and sifting it throgh it's gills is a gold head goby. I had one for awhile they're pretty cool.