PDA

View Full Version : polish water

fishguyxd
09/08/2005, 06:56 PM
I was wondering what works the best for getting a cleaner water
i have small particles floating around do I add extra filter or add purgen (seachem product) or charcoal in a media bag or would putting a canister filer work better.

reefwick
09/08/2005, 07:02 PM
Do you skim?

fishguyxd
09/08/2005, 07:29 PM
no skimmer yet I just have the overflow on my rr tank.

reefwick
09/08/2005, 07:47 PM
Skimmer would help. I have this problem (still do kinda) and I added some more filter media. Chemipure, white cotton looking stuff (can't remember the name right now) Canister filter wouldn't hurt just make sure you change themedia regularly. Alot if it comes from dirty media just putting it back into the system.

bkwudzjeep
09/08/2005, 07:47 PM
A skimmer would definitely help......
I have used carbon with pretty good results with a Magnum 350 canister filter....these work as a nice way to do water changes and siphon detrius out as well.

reefwick.....go Cubbies!!

reefwick
09/08/2005, 07:58 PM
Well nothing is gonna help us this season. Aren't you a Florida fan??? only 1 game out of the wild card. Good luck to ya!

P.S. if you are a Florida fan I hate you...... J/K

bkwudzjeep
09/08/2005, 08:21 PM
I follow FL teams, but I was born in Chicago, then spent up until 3 years ago in Rolling Meadows (NW BURBS).
I'm a die-hard......but I guess I can kind of be happy for the local teams....not....:)

Sorry fishguy....didn't mean to hijack your thread.....I think the term "yet" with your skimmer is good. It is possible to maintain a healthy tank without one, I just think it's lots easier with one IMO.

chrisp074
09/08/2005, 08:28 PM
A skimmer would be your best solution. I really can't understate their importance. Otherwise a canister or power filter will help, but will increase nitrates.

By the way, Go Bears from Arlington Heights.

-Chris

JoSndd
09/08/2005, 08:54 PM
Try a Aquaclear Quick Filter Attachment on one of your power heads. They just snap on the intake and work as good as a Diotom Filter. I use one on my 75-gal. ran by a Aquaclear 201 powerhead. I change the filter sock about once every 2-months.