PDA

View Full Version : Possible for 26 gal tank?

dwka2000
09/08/2005, 05:46 PM
First of all, great forum guys n girls!

Ive been a freshie for about 10 years now and am no longer able to resist trying my hand at a small sw tank.

I have a 26 gal tank waiting to be utilised, and a 15 gal which could possibly serve as sump.
Reading here and in other sources I realise it is quite small but possible to use this tank.
The idea now is to run it with LR and a "cleaning crew" untill stable. Then there will be time enough to learn about the possibilities for further occupation!

Also i have 2 eheim 300l/h potfilters without a job and was wondering if i could still utilise them in this simple setup (1 inside the sump with phosphate killer) and the other as feedup to the showtank.

In the sump I thought to use in this order filtermatt, 2 blue spongefilters, potfilter1 and the feedup-potfilter. This should leave space for a skimmer at a later stage. I will also introduce some powerheads for watermovement.

All hints n tips are welcome (critisism to but not as much ;) )

tnx Dirk

SW Fan
09/08/2005, 05:51 PM
Let your tank cycle for a couple weeks before you get fish.

bertoni
09/08/2005, 10:51 PM
[welcome]

I just use live rock, protein skimmers, activated carbon, and algae for my filtration. I don't actually recognize the terms you're using for your suggested filtration, so you'd have to help me on that.

reefwick
09/08/2005, 11:06 PM
A better choice for the sump would be to use microalgae like cheatomorphea (sp). Sponges will turn into nitrate factories and collect detrius etc... Your LR, LS and (if you choose to do so) cheato will be more than enough biological filtration. When you do get a skimmer that would be the only mechanical filtration needed. Should get it when you want to add fish though.

As far as the canister filters go, using one to run carbon in once in awhile would be a good idea. It'll serve some purpose for you then. The other one you could trade for frags on the trading forum.

What kind of lighting do you plan on having?

dwka2000
09/09/2005, 07:01 AM
OK, no sponges but chaeto with some light on the sump and maybe somespace for LR rubble.

One cannisterfilter to run carbon once in a while and the other I would like to use as return to the main tank ,possible?

I still have a S...load of TL which i want to install in a hanging lighthood to start with. Once I know which direction i would like to go after its cycled and the LR has shown its secrets will determine which investments i will make in superior systems.

tnx for the help so far

Dirk

boxfishpooalot
09/09/2005, 12:09 PM
That would be a nano tank! Cant have too many fish though!

dwka2000
09/10/2005, 02:32 AM
Thanks, not planning on (m)any fish though. Ill save that for a bigger tank in a couple of years.
I first want to see if and how i can keep a nano healthy and how much time is required for maintenance, it can only get easier in a big tank as these are more stable systems (in fresh water in any case)