PDA

View Full Version : Sailfin Tang & Yellow Tang

orgetorix
09/08/2005, 04:10 PM
I know they are in the same genus, but what are the chances of them fighting it out in a 300?

SWonly
09/08/2005, 04:29 PM
Anythings possible, but It would be fine if you ask me. If your adding them at the sam time I see no problems. If either is already established if possible get the new tang a little bigger then the current one.

gotoneon
09/09/2005, 12:56 AM
I have a 300 gallon tank that had a very established purple tang in it. This fish ruled my tank. I added a couple Banner fish and a sailfin at the same time. The purple tang chose the sailfin and chased it around and tanged it none stop. I took them out and put them in a 55 I was using for a qt with a Clarki and some resident Damsels. The two are best buds now and have been for over a week. The puple tang will sometimes scurry after the sailfin, but no tanging. Another option would be to put the sailfin in first and a week or so later add the purple tang. We are lucky to have big tanks because we can get away with pairs most can't, however, if one tang is established you will have a hard time adding another. Also keep nori on a food clip at all times. Good luck

spamin76
09/09/2005, 06:33 AM
You could try adding them at the same time - that seems to be the rule for adding multiple yellow - so it could work for a yellow and something related to it.

orgetorix
09/09/2005, 10:04 AM
Well, the sailfin is already established, but so far is very unaggressive. Then again, there is nothing related to it in the tank either...

gotoneon
09/10/2005, 01:29 AM
Sailfins are one of the least agressive from what I have seen and what I have read. So I really don't think you will have any problems. You could also add three or more Yellows. This would spread any picking out over more fish, but I really don't think you will have a problem.

150gunit
09/10/2005, 06:50 PM
I had a yellow tang first then I added a little larger sailfin four months later. They chased each other for the first couple of days and then they stopped. Now they hang around eachother all the time. What helped was that I had a lot of places for the fish to hide.