PDA

View Full Version : Help Temp To High!!!

popal
09/08/2005, 03:02 PM
hi all,

my temp is 84f and thats when the lights are off, goes up to 86f when the lights are on what can i do?

tried fan = didnt work

cant afford chiller

im putting ice into bags and floating that in my tank, but the temp will only go up when the lights come back on AND THE LIGHTS ARE ONLY 30WATTS EACH AND I ONLY HAVE 2 LIGHTS. i have no fish yet but will be getting some on saturday, but not if this temp dont go down:mad2:

PLEASE HELP :(

ringnecks
09/08/2005, 03:07 PM
what i use to do was freeze a few 2 liters of bottle water cause ice in a bag melts 2 quick or an air conditioner

moo
09/08/2005, 03:19 PM
What kind of lighting do you have?

Do you have an AC? If so can you turn that on?

I have my tank in my home office with AC running + dehumidifier when it goes above 90 outside. Else I use a huge fan and blow it directly at my tank.

popal
09/08/2005, 03:27 PM
well no i dont have a AC i live in the UK and with the weather we have we dont need 1 lol :) i have a ceiling fan but cant keep it on all the time, my lighting is a 30 watt sun glo and a 30 marine glo.

Ebisan
09/08/2005, 03:32 PM
Do you have a glass cover on your tank? I would remove it. If you have jumper fish, put egg crate over it. If it's an open top, try having a small fan blow across the surface of the water. What size tank? Is the house/room hot? 84F without the lights is pretty warm. Maybe your pumps are generating a lot of heat. Also dumb question, is your heater set properly?

popal
09/08/2005, 03:55 PM
no i dont have a glass cover, i dont have any fish yet, my tank isnt an open top i just have a stand hood, my tank is 3ft 3in 40gal, how do you tell if your pumps are generating a lot of heat. i have a fluval 4 internal filter and a fluval 304 external, and a 24w internal uv stererlizer. the water is so warm i do not have my heater pluged in otherwise it just makes the water to HOT

what is 2 hot 2 keep fish?

thx.

tperkins
09/08/2005, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I was going to ask about the tank heater too. hmmm.

Without a heater plugged in and no lights on, natural evaporation should cool it down.

You said you dont need AC where you live. Is it cool there? Did you maybe put your tank on top of or too close to a central heat vent?