PDA

View Full Version : Identify Please

Willie_6
09/08/2005, 03:01 PM
I have to items that I need to identify-

Recently I have seen stem like growth all over my tank. It is reddish brown and appears even on the shells of my snails. Any ideas?

Perhaps the most odd finding-I have a white object gorwin out of a piece of liverock. It looks like a 1/2 inch piece of wire. It is round and at the end opposit of the LR there is a web like appearance. I witnessed the web part go into hiding and then it came back out.

Let me know what you think.

Robin764
09/08/2005, 03:18 PM
The second description sounds like featherdusters. They are cool to watch, and good for your tank:)

Robin

Kreeger1
09/08/2005, 03:22 PM
The first is mostlikely some kind of coraline algae. Do you have anyway of posting pictures?
Can't remember the name of the second one but its harmless. the web is used to collect food. Its a tube snail of some sort. In my tank I had one and I got tired of seeing the web all over my corals so I kinda smashed the tube, but some leave it go.
Erik

Kreeger1
09/08/2005, 03:23 PM
The second could very likely be a tiny feather duster too, does it make a fan like appearance when open? If you tap the glass does it shoot back in?
Erik

Willie_6
09/08/2005, 03:34 PM
It does not go back in when I tap the glass. It is about 8 inches from the glass though, so maybe it can't hear me??

Ebisan
09/08/2005, 03:40 PM
For #1, is the stem hard with a hard to see clear line coming out of the end of it and small particles in the water column stick to it? Once something is stuck to the line, it is slowly brought back into the stem? I have a bunch of these in my tank. I believe it is some type of worm. Not sure of the name though. Harmless except that I have too many of them and they are on my PH, snail shells, etc.