PDA

View Full Version : How to feed frozen foods?

Snipe
09/08/2005, 02:21 PM
Just wondering how how to feed frozen food? I alos posted on how to DIY a frozen food feeder here http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=665442

Any help would be apreciated. Thanks.

Mrs.kbmdale
09/08/2005, 02:25 PM
I just thaw the appropriate amount of food in tank water then feed. Some thaw and drain, so the excess nutrients don't go in the tank too, but its all a matter of what/how YOU want to do it.

FWIW,
Brianna:rollface:

Snipe
09/08/2005, 03:22 PM
Well I mainly want some info on how to feed the fish with it. When I put it in my tank the powerheads send it flying everywere in little pieces.

doody
09/08/2005, 07:34 PM
Dude, you're in college?
Turn off the powerheads.

Snipe
09/08/2005, 08:40 PM
Well I was trying to figure out a way to hold it in place with the powerheads on. Have you see the worm dispensors? Something kinda like that but big enough that the meat whent dissolved can make its way out slowly instead of all at once. Kinda like the pro feeder that Liveaquaria sells.

drinkhomebrew
09/08/2005, 08:43 PM
i just toss frozen chucks into the tank "1/2"", they float around and the fish chase them and take a bite.

Snipe
09/08/2005, 09:44 PM
I guess I could use my floating flake feeder and just apply the same princable to it.

bertoni
09/08/2005, 09:48 PM
I just thaw and toss the food into the tank. I do cut it into smaller pieces. Going through the powerheads shouldn't matter, but I do turn off the skimmers when I feed. I use a countdown timer to turn them back on.

ACBlinky
09/08/2005, 09:49 PM
I thaw the cubes and drain off the liquid, then add vitamins and garlic and a little tank water. I feed the fish with a pipette from a test kit (this is how we do it at work, so I adopted the process for home since I'm used to it and it works really well.)
I'd put the PHs on a small power bar, then just push the 'off' button at feeding time and click it back on when you're done (easier than unplugging things). It took my fish about two days to learn that when the water stops moving, they're about to get fed :).

drjrose
09/08/2005, 10:24 PM
I thaw in the same cup as my liquid Phytoplex (phytoplankton) and alternating Marine Snow/ZooPlex/Microvert. All juices are included to feed the corals and other inverts. A small amount of hand shreaded Nori is added for the Tangs. This feeding is on M-W-F. I have just started feeding the fish daily a small amout of dry Aquadine (from LFS). To my surprise, the fish seem to like the dry food the best. Go figure.