PDA

View Full Version : feather dusters

flowergirl
09/08/2005, 09:10 AM
i was thinking about getting a feather duster. are they hard to take care of and do they need alot of light? i have two emerald crabs as well..do ytou think they would go after the tube?
thanks

LTJGAlex
09/08/2005, 09:22 AM
I had an emerald rip two FD tubes apart. Bad news.

DaveC
09/08/2005, 01:48 PM
I have a couple of feather dusters with emerald crabs and they have not bothered them....dusters do not need much light either....one of mine lives inside a cave and has been there for over a year....I think they move to where the feeding is good...

DaveC

Mrs.kbmdale
09/08/2005, 01:56 PM
flowergirl, I don't know about the crab. I do know that true peppermint shrimps will devour them like chocolate dessert! My featherduster is in the fuge where it is safe.( I didn't feel like rearranging my tank to get the pepp. out). HOWEVER, featherdusters REQUIRE, with emphasis on REQUIRE phyto. I dose my tank 2-3 times a week, then once a week i spot feed my featherduster. Right now I use Two Little Fishes PhytoPlan, but am looking into setting up my own phyto "hatchery". When you spot feed, don't just squirt it at the feather or it will shoot back into it's tube, do it upstream, so it flows over and through the featherdusters crown.

HTH,
Brianna:rollface:

mikedege
09/08/2005, 02:49 PM
HOWEVER, featherdusters REQUIRE, with emphasis on REQUIRE phyto.

is this true? if so, how come my feather dusters have not died?

:eek:

-Mike:)

Mrs.kbmdale
09/08/2005, 08:21 PM
Dude, dont be an ***. what kind do you have and how long have you had them? Because eventually they'll starve to death!

Brianna:rollface:

TitaniuIVI
09/09/2005, 02:17 AM
I have a feather duster, I target feed it phyto every other day. I also add pyto to my regular fish food. I have3 different types of crabs, I have the peppermint shrimp. And it's still alive. It just all depends on your luck. But you do definatly need phtoplankton.

greenbean36191
09/09/2005, 08:04 AM
is this true? if so, how come my feather dusters have not died?
Yes, it's true for the large species of featherdusters. The small hitchhikers can get by on only bacteria though. If you have large ones that are still alive and you don't feed them then they just haven't starved to death yet.