PDA

View Full Version : ID Question

OES12
09/08/2005, 05:58 AM
Hello I'm OES12 on of the new guys.

I have a 55g tank that I am starting for the 2nd time. The first time I crashed and burned. I would be glad to tell the story if anyone likes to hear it. (pause) You thats what I thought I will get to the point.

I have a pea green growth on the LR I put in the tank. It is pea to bb size gorwing together side by side. The size grows out of the top of the bigger growth. Some of them are covered with fine spines. Looks like a teddy bear cactus spines. Oh yea the stick you the same way. (Laugh at the new guy now!!) The spines are very difficult to see in your finger. I spent a lot of time looking at pictures and found nothing that looked like this stuff. I do not think it is an alge. (Yea what does the new guy know anyway) If you have any idea what i'm talking about please get back to me. I would take a picture but I learned that the digital camera can not swim during the holiday activities. I will replace it as soon as budget allows it.

Thanks in advance

LTJGAlex
09/08/2005, 07:29 AM
I've never heard of anything like that, unfortunately. Wow.

OES12
09/09/2005, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the reply LTJGAlex. One update one of the bb size pods a stemmy brown plant has appeared this morning its about the size of an pencil eraser.

mcox33
09/09/2005, 06:13 AM
keep fingers away so that you get no more spines in them, call a friend with a camera to take a picture for us

OES12
09/11/2005, 10:08 PM
Since I started this as new things I have found. I will continue to ask here when I find new things on the LR. I found a very small featherduster this evening. I understand they are filter feeders and require flow. It is in an area of moderate flow. Is there anything else I should do to make sure it has a chance to survive. No fish or clean up crew yet still waiting for the nitrates, and nitrites to go to zero. Everything else seems to be ok.