PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Aiptasia

SoloGLI
09/08/2005, 12:37 AM
Hey everyone. Im somewhat new to the hobby, and very new to SW tanks. I just got a 20 gal SW reef tank that has been established for about 7 months now. I bought it from my friends coworker, both of which work at one of the better, if not best, fish stores in my area. There is about 35# of live rock, and a good amount of sand, not sure how many lbs, but probably 3in in depth. Right now, I dont have any fish in the tank, but I have 5 hermit crabs (not sure what kind), and 6 snails (not sure what kind). I also have a black Sea Urchin. There are about 8 Zoo corals and a white star polyp, and a mushroom in the tank.

Now to my question about controlling aiptasia. I have a Zoo coral that has aiptasia, and it looks like some aiptasia is also growing from one of the live rocks. I read the thread about what treatments I can use, but I dont exactly understand how to apply them. Each method says to use a saringe, but I have no idea where to get one, and the other question, is do I just apply the solution directly on the aiptasia while its in the tank? Do I need to remove the coral from the tank and place it in something else to apply the solution?

From what I have read, most people say Joe's Juice works the best, is this true? Or does Vinegar or hot water work just as well?

Thanks in advance

bertoni
09/08/2005, 12:40 AM
[welcome]

I wrote up some notes on this topic:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=514384

Fred_J
09/08/2005, 01:02 AM
Depending on your state laws you can buy a syringe at most pharmacy's just ask for some allergy shot needles. If that doesn't work any vet should sell you one. I can't get by without them. Price 25 for $10.

SoloGLI
09/08/2005, 01:25 AM
Bertoni, I read that thread first, but I wasnt sure how to apply the solution. Im assuming that I just apply it directly to the aiptasia while its in the tank?

bertoni
09/08/2005, 01:28 AM
That's what I do. Be careful about the amount you use in one shot if you're using Joe's Juice, or any of the other chemicals. They can really whack the tank's pH.