PDA

View Full Version : Calcium precipitation in newly made water - can I still use?

bean3178
09/08/2005, 12:06 AM
I just made a batch of saltwater because I was going to do a water change. I added Superbuffer dKH because I thought the KH would be low (yes, I should have tested first; the KH in my tank is usually a little lower after a water change). Now, the water is cloudy and I think it's because the calcium has precipitated out of it (Oceanic salt has 500 Ca).

Can I still use this water or should I trash it and make a new batch? I don't want to take any chances. I would like to use the water only if there is no risk.

bertoni
09/08/2005, 12:14 AM
You could wait until it settled, then measure the alkalinity and calcium, correct it, and then use it, I suppose. I wouldn't use it until it'd been checked.

Randall_James
09/08/2005, 12:15 AM
How much water are you talking? If it is not that much , just dump it.

Trying to buffer PH on any new water is pretty much a drag just for this reason. If you can not aerate the stuff to get the PH, there is something else wrong.

Do not feel bad, I did this to a brand new tank setup and the stuff precipitated to the viewing panes. It took 2 hours to remove the stuff and a week of calcium dosing to get anywhere near 400.

bean3178
09/08/2005, 12:23 AM
It's about 25-30 gallons. I have a heater and power head circulating the water. Is there a chance it'll clear up eventually? Not sure what I should do.

Randall_James
09/08/2005, 12:27 AM
It will clear, you will most likely see deposits on the side or bottom of your mixing chamber. This would be the calcium carbonate. (unusable) Like bertoni indicated, check it before using it is all.

If you did not use too much buffer, it could just be PH shock (could get lucky) When water PH is changed to quickly it can cloud like this.

bertoni
09/08/2005, 12:53 AM
If it doesn't clear up with circulation, you could try turning off the powerhead. If you got some precipitation, it might have formed fine particles that the powerhead is keeping in suspension.

bean3178
09/08/2005, 08:52 AM
Thanks. So I can test salinity and KH and make sure temperature is okay and I should be fine?

bertoni
09/08/2005, 03:56 PM
Most likely. I wouldn't worry too much for a reasonable (20% or less) water change.

bean3178
09/08/2005, 04:34 PM
The water is beginning to clear up a bit. I think the precipitate is beginning to settle. I'll wait another 24 hours, test and then proceed with the WC. Thanks.