PDA

View Full Version : Couple of ?? on Coralife Super Skimmer 65

chipmaker
09/07/2005, 10:37 PM
Ok, I just got this skimmer....Included in the package is a sort of inline valve, that regulates flow by closing up the inlet tube on the assembly. Next to this knob that controls water flow is a small tiny knurled knob. NOWHERE in ther instructions or parts list is this piece shown or mentioned, but judging by the size of the piece, it can only go in the intake tube somewhere.......I assembled this skimmer and have it up and running now for about 6 hours and its already removing junk, in fresh water that I have had in this tank about a week now.....It has minute particles in it from me messing around as well as oils from my hands and it appears at this stage in fresh water its removing the stuff. I have been basically wet testing my setup so everything is pretty well tuned when I put in my LR and LS, probably tomorrow or more than likely Friday........So what is this additional mystery piece that came with this skimmer?
Also: Is that 8" distance they give you from water level to bottom of pump wrote in stone or can it be shortened? I sure would like to move it up a bit higher so I can get a bit more additonal room under it, as my tank is only a 16 gal AGA bowfront........Talk about a tight fit, hang a AC500 fuge on the back and also a CSS65 next to it, and there was only 1/16" of space to spare.......It fits but its tight, but skimmer cup and fuge cover is still able to be removed without any hassle.

Probably the only thing I find that I do not like is how big a power head it has and the large sized diffuser box........especially in a 20" wide 16 gal bowfront tank, it looks like a sore thumb just setting there in the corner.......which leads me to my final question. Can I place my live rock against the tanks back glass, and is there any way possible to hide this powerhead from the skimmer, like putting it behind a rock etc. or does it realy need to be in the open. Right now I am not gutsy enough to drill my new tank for an overflow and make a sump for it, which would eliminate this problem.......and I have been considering making a weir for it so I can get away without drilling the tank, and just use a sump......ANy one have plans or a source for a "cheap" weir? Wife is sort of curtailing anaymore $$$ on this setup, but I am fairly handy with acrylics and fabricating things........

Thanks for any info on my questions

ihavfishues
09/08/2005, 09:15 PM
what size tank do you have? If you need a wier, I have an extra one... it's a long eBay story... It's too big for my 29g tank... This overflow box is for a 55g...

PM me if you're interested...

:D

ihavfishues
09/08/2005, 09:16 PM
BTW -- I have the same skimmer... everyone on here who helped me ID it says it's a good one, but I am moving it "below deck" also. You're right -- i t's too big and puts out too many bubbles in my tank...