PDA

View Full Version : cup corals

jmack
09/07/2005, 09:39 PM
I recently bought some FL rock that had what I believe is a "cup coral" (correct me if I'm wrong..the base looks like a flower (it's completely stationary on the rock) but there are long white (almost glassy looking) tentacles that expand and retract out of this 'flower' at different times. Well this morning I fed the hermits some shrimp and a piece must have floated into this coral's way. It looked as if he was trying to suck the whole thing down at once. My question is whether these corals need to be directly fed or do they eat meaty foods like anemones?

ihavfishues
09/08/2005, 09:24 PM
I have these same critters... Acording to the Melev's reef link, they are, indeed, cup corals.

One of mine sucked up a flake of Formula 2 that landed on it the other morning... I was amazed!!! That was my first experience seeing corals or any "pretty things" eating!!! WOW...

Here's that link, but I don't know how to answer your question. My best guess would be that we need to feed them. I couldnt' get good answers, either...

http://melevsreef.com/id/

:D

bertoni
09/08/2005, 10:08 PM
If they're cup corals, they'll need to be fed. You could target feed them, or try just dumping some coral food into the tank. I use the latter approach for my corals. The coral forum has a thread with a food recipe that also contains information on feeding in general.