PDA

View Full Version : Protein skimmers

addicted_2_reef
09/07/2005, 09:26 PM
I have one of those airstone protein skimmers. Its for a 150gal tank. I'm getting a 38g. I've been lead to understand that they aren't as good as the others that are out there. But, If I use it on a smaller tank like this one would it be effecient?

-Brian

nluchau
09/07/2005, 09:58 PM
Is it a Lee's skimmer. If so their crap. The wood airstone clogs up and after 2 weeks you have to replace it. Doesnt work very well. I went up to a seaclone and I think the Lees worked abit better than the Seaclone. No to both

markandkristen
09/07/2005, 10:00 PM
need brand and etc. and really it as far as skimming if it wont skimm correctly on a 150 chances are on a 38 its going to do the same. just my opinion. thiers really no way around it unless you buy it used . by getting a cheap skimmer and a good one at the same time. i have a 37 gallon and will be getting a remora c skimmer in about a month=164 on ebay shipped new price.

markandkristen
09/07/2005, 10:05 PM
to me thiers factors that play part in a skimmer
obviously design. pump and quality
iv had a cheap one and they produce lime green koolaid. i have a aquamedic turboflotor 1000 multi =250 new but it produces black smelling stuff. that is real thick in slime = thats what you want.
now i have over 300 dollars in fish at the moment so i want to maintain them. not make them endure pain with buying a cheap skimmer. another thing about the cheap skimmers is you have to tweak them often. i hate that.
my aquamedic. i just clean it about every 3 months thouroghly and turn it on and it keeps nitrates almost at zero.

markandkristen
09/07/2005, 10:09 PM
one last thing
in my experience i buy cheap
use it for a week or so then end up getting the right one
you get frustrated trying to duct tape crap. fish start dying then you want to quit the hobby. if its one thing ive learned. quality stuff keeps you in this hobby happy and wanting more. trying to cut every corner only ends up hurting you in the long run. i bought my 90 gallon used for 650 but i got top of the line stuff with it that was only a year old. it came with rodi unit . 2 month old lighting. and a quality stand. and my favorite a water top off system. i only have to fill the bucket once a week and it fills my aquarium up when condensation takes place

dhnguyen
09/07/2005, 11:47 PM
Actually contrary to what everyone else have stated about airstone driven skimmers, I think they do a very good job for the price.

I used to have a Berlin Airlift 60 in my 30 and it pulled out WAY more crap than the other venturi driven skimmers. Granted you need to clean it weekly and replace the airstone about once a month or so for it to work efficiently. It was also a pain in the *** to keep having to adjust it to the water line due to evaporation.

D.

Fred_J
09/08/2005, 12:50 AM
Please check out this thread in Anthony Calfo's forum on skimmers Protein Skimmers (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=554786) . The first page will list the best bang for your buck skimmers.
Some home made air stone skimmers can function as well as very expensive name brand skimmers. The thread can save you a lot on money in the long run. Just remember a skimmer can be the most important part of your system.
Fred

addicted_2_reef
09/08/2005, 12:09 PM
I'm at work and don't have any brand name to give you but I think its an old aquaC but I can't know for sure until I get home. I cost me around 150.00 and worked really good on my 90g about 10 years ago. I would produce a blackish sludge when it was dialed in good.

tgfrench
09/08/2005, 06:07 PM
i am using the aquaC 250 with a 1700 rio pumping around 800/900 gph best thing i did was purchase a gatevalve. it simplified the tuning, i'm now clearing out a good quality skimmate.