PDA

View Full Version : pods? how do i acquire them?

jason 26
09/07/2005, 06:53 PM
what are these amphipods and copepods i keep hearing about ? what do they look like and how do i get them? will they come out of my live rock over time?:strooper:

dugg
09/07/2005, 07:11 PM
You will get them from your live rock over time. If you start seeing them with the lights on very much at all, then you have a really healthy population going. Use a flashlight about 1 hour after the light go out and look on the rocks, you will see them already probably. They are just tiny little bugs, and they move pretty quick.

Agu
09/07/2005, 08:08 PM
Check this article to learn about "pods".

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rs/index.php

km133688
09/07/2005, 08:40 PM
get LR from several members of your reef club (you have found your local reef club right?). Then create a small rubble pile a corner of your tank close to the LR made of CC or small pieces of LR. Then wait.

You can also order some online if you really have to have them now, but they'll be there for you in 3 months if you wait.

good luck, Kevin

dcoufal
09/07/2005, 10:17 PM
ipsf.com
inlandaquatics.com

Dwain

Agu
09/07/2005, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by dcoufal
ipsf.com
inlandaquatics.com

Dwain

Why buy what you can get for free from a local club member?

Take Kevins advice............

dcoufal
09/07/2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Agu
Why buy what you can get for free from a local club member?

Take Kevins advice............

Because some people have no "local club" and/or simply find it easier to order them.... and, since no one had mentioned specific places to buy them, I thought I'd list some sites that I had bought from and was happy with.

Dwain

bertoni
09/08/2005, 01:35 AM
One way to increase your population of small animals is to feed phytoplankton. That'll start a whole food chain in your tank. You'll probably get at least some with your live rock, as noted. Otherwise, get some from a friend or from a vendor. It's useful to have mysid shrimp, too, IMO.

Ti
09/08/2005, 02:53 AM
I;ve found it better to get it from macro algae from others.