PDA

View Full Version : Protein Skimmer Selection

saul1
09/07/2005, 04:59 PM
Greetings:

I have a 175 fish only saltwater tank and current have an aqua clear aquatics venturi style skimmer which I would like to upgrade. I have large tangs, asfur angel, zebra moray, and everything else is small to medium sized.

I have quickly become confused regarding the best choice for a skimmer upgrade.

Models I am looking at include:
Coralife Super Skimmer (rated to 220)
ASM G3 (Knock-off on Euro-Reef)
Euro-Reef CS8-3 (rated to 175 gallons)
Aqua-Medic Turbo-Flotor Multi
Aqua C EV Series (240)

I would like something that is very easy to setup, use, and maintain and will be an improvement from my current skimmer. Also, an option is just to stay with what I have (if I'm not going to see much of a difference)

Thanks for the advice

Rob

Scuba Oz
09/07/2005, 05:04 PM
Go with the Euro-Reef or the ASM. Good skimmers

bertoni
09/07/2005, 06:03 PM
[welcome]

I agree, but protein skimmers are poorly studied, so there's a wide range of opinions. Deltecs are very expensive, but do get very good reviews in general.

Family Reefer
09/08/2005, 12:45 PM
I bought a Euro-Reef RS8.1 about 1 1/2 months ago and I'm extremely pleased with its performance. I do hear good things about ASM's as well

Emster
09/08/2005, 08:05 PM
I have a Euro-reef cs8-2, it is very well made and you will need it that way. I droped the cup the other day and I'm usually very careful. It's worth it to me to pay the extra cash for a beefy product. The cup can be hard to get off though.

xvinnyax
09/08/2005, 08:41 PM
I am new to this myself and bought a Sea Clone 100 for my 45 gallon tank. I have been doing a lot of reading but never researed protein skimmers prior to buying the Sea Clone. I just went with the guy at the fish stores recommendation. He came highly recommended by many friends as being reputable.

So did I get ripped off? I checked the price and he was within reason, I was more concerned with it being effective or not. I must admit though I see it taking some dark dirty stuff out of my tank. (Almost black the water in the cup) The cup slips right out, I dump it and I am good to go.

So the Sea Clone is working for me pretty good.. (Takes waste out really fast, but when I feed my filter feeders I have to shut it down for a bit, or it takes the food out of the water)

Ok this was my first post but, have been reading for hours on here. I have learned a bunch. Thanks for everyone who takes their time out of their busy days to help out..

Vinny

timmy_boy188
09/08/2005, 08:58 PM
I love my Prizm skimmer, it works great and dousnt make much noise,

Tim

bertoni
09/08/2005, 09:04 PM
[welcome]

to xvinnyax

SeaClones get a lot of negative reviews, and a few positive ones. I am very skeptical about that skimmer. Even some of the positive reviews aren't very positive if you think about them, IMO.

drjrose
09/08/2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by saul1

Euro-Reef CS8-3 (rated to 175 gallons)

I like mine - alot.

sixliner6
09/09/2005, 12:55 AM
My Euro has treated me pretty good. I just bought a Deltec so I expect better results.

jmack
09/09/2005, 12:55 PM
I just got the CSS 220 for my 120gal...I'm really impressed so far with the ease of installation and the quality of materials. I'll let you know how it works this weekend..I'm hooking it up then.

sjm817
09/09/2005, 01:08 PM
Get the ER or the ASM. Both are great and very similar skimmers. You can save some $$ by going with he ASM.

jmack
09/10/2005, 10:49 PM
I set up my CSS 220 today...very quiet and LOTS of bubbles in the chamber. The only problem I've had is with a small drip on the output hose. I am going to call coralife and see what could be causing it. However, it's a slow drip so not too bad. It puts my Jebo to shame even with the leak!

jmack
09/10/2005, 10:55 PM
PS: In the interim between trashing the Jebo and getting the CSS going I noticed film on the water and overall cloudiness in the tank. Tonight after just a few hours the tank is crystal clear.

Jerico96
09/10/2005, 11:34 PM
I have a H&S it kicks my old euro reef and is as good as a deltec only cheaper. The only other skimmer I would consider is a Bubble King only they are way out of my price range. JMO

Jerry