PDA

View Full Version : Euro-reef silicone?

ItsMee
09/07/2005, 11:39 AM
My euro-reef came with a tiny tube of silicone dieletric compund. Is it glue? Whats it used for?

Randall_James
09/07/2005, 11:43 AM
Dielectric compound is not sealing silicone, it is for heat transfer or as a protectant for electrical connections. It is designed to handle high heat, high moisture, and high voltages without breaking down. If you check it out, it will look like a white or transparent grease. Its biggest use is in the automotive industry for spark plug boots and electronic modules. Keeps the boots from welding to the plugs and for modules, it is smeared on the back to aid in heat transfer from the module to the attaching mount. You will also see this "grease" in electrical connectors to computer sensors or the actual ECM. It has a lot of uses...

If the tank has intergal electrical connections, it is most likely intended to be squirted (just a little) into the push together sockets. Check with the tank maker for specific instructions...

DO NOT use it like sealing silicone, it is not anything like it...

artis
09/07/2005, 02:11 PM
Its lubricant for the bayonet fitting used to attach the collection cup to the main skimmer body. You'll want to make sure that's properly lubed, as it can get a bit difficult to turn.

ItsMee
09/07/2005, 03:30 PM
Artis, Is it used on the riser tube as well? Because that is a bit hard to adjust. I have to push kind of hard for it to go down, and to lift it up I have to turn the skimmer off because otherwise the riser tube will unconnect.

artis
09/07/2005, 04:27 PM
Well, that's a good question. I've never used it on the riser tube, but possibly it might work there. In my limited experience the riser tube loosened considerably with a little use and from lubrication of the slime that develops with time. That said, the riser has a lot more surface area and there isn't much lubricant in that tube.

I've found that the ER forum at http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=322 is very helpful. Either the retailers or ER themselves respond to questions. Better to ask the professionals.