PDA

View Full Version : How long before 'critters' start appearing on LR?

20 20
09/07/2005, 09:58 AM
How long before you start seeing the 'critters' that are supposed to come with the LR? I've had live rock in my tank for 5 days now, and has started seeing a few 'pods' (I believe), but that's it. What's normal for seeing the critters? Right away? If so, then I don't have any. A week? Two or three weeks? I'm just getting a bit concerned because I'm not seeing much yet, but maybe I'm just too impatient! :D

LTJGAlex
09/07/2005, 10:02 AM
20 20:

You're actually reasonably lucky to be seeing pods already. You got some good LR I'd surmise. It can take up to a year to really see every wonder your LR has introduced, though some might show up a lot sooner. Anytime is really the answer.

DeeZeal
09/07/2005, 10:03 AM
What kind of "critters" are you talking about? Try looking at night...

LTJGAlex
09/07/2005, 10:09 AM
Some things you might find introduced from LR: xanthid crabs, mantis shrimp (bad!), tunicates, various algae, polyps, small brains, rock anemones, mini carpet anemones, aiptasia (bad!), pods, bristleworms, nudibranchs, stomatella snails.

It's endless.

20 20
09/07/2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by LTJGAlex
You're actually reasonably lucky to be seeing pods already. You got some good LR I'd surmise. It can take up to a year to really see every wonder your LR has introduced, though some might show up a lot sooner. Anytime is really the answer.

That's good to hear. Got the live rock at That Fish Place in PA. Soloman Island LR. Not many pods yet, just 3 or 4 that I know of so far.

Originally posted by DeeZeal
What kind of "critters" are you talking about? Try looking at night...

Not quite sure. I've read a lot of articles and forum threads on SW to try and learn, and keep hearing about living creatures that can come with LR. Pods, I've read about small starfish, worms, etc. Actually I have no idea, just trying to learn.:p

20 20
09/07/2005, 10:10 AM
Ah, LTJGAlex posted his list of 'critters' while I was typing up my last post! Thanks!