PDA

View Full Version : Xenia eating crab? I.D. please

btodd43
09/07/2005, 09:29 AM
Hey all- dont have a camera but noticed a small (about the size of a dime) crab living in a hole he's light tan with light brown stripes on his legs , box style. We (had) a nice pulsing Xenia but came home to find it munched on and it died but there was a baby growing and it now has been munched too. any clues?

LTJGAlex
09/07/2005, 10:01 AM
He could be a xanthid crab, in which case it is possible (though not certain) that he's munching polyps. If he's a xanthid, good luck. They're fast as lightning, plus you'll just about never see them with the lights on. My hitchhiker xanthid only comes out very late in the night cycle.

alten78
09/07/2005, 03:33 PM
oh man, if i could get one of those crabs to take out just my xenia ill be set. Ripped one rock somewhat clean of em...blah, what a nasty job.

bertoni
09/07/2005, 04:09 PM
You could try putting together a trap. Basically, cut off the top of a soda bottle, invert it, and add some food. Then, hope for the best. There are some threads on this subject if you want to look around.

fakename
09/07/2005, 04:16 PM
I have had no success with this trapping of crabs........all I get are hermits and snails....
Spear fishing for crabs however has become a most successful past-time of mine :D

bertoni
09/07/2005, 04:30 PM
Well, some people have had luck... Certainly not all.

Watching the tank at night with a spear in hand might be worth the effort, if the trapping fails... I've used tongs to catch the little monsters, for that matter.