PDA

View Full Version : proper feeding of DTs oyster eggs to Zo's

cshenderson
09/07/2005, 09:20 AM
I've gotten conflicting reports from a couple different sources. When feeding oyster eggs to your corals (right now all I have is 3 rocks with zoanthids) should you target feed with pumps and power heads off, or can you just add the eggs to the water with everything running and let it just work its way to the corals over time? I've heard it expressed both ways. If neither is correct let me know the proper way to ensure I'm feeding my corals sufficantly.

cshenderson
09/07/2005, 12:34 PM
second verse
same as the first

AJP
09/07/2005, 12:56 PM
I have never seen a need to feed zoo's. The only corals that I feed are my LPS, and when I do that I just add whatever it is I am feeding to the water and let the pumps get it to the corals.

But like I said I don't think you need to feed zoo's. Save your money on the oyster eggs till you need to feed.

Teremei
09/07/2005, 01:36 PM
But it WILL help them spread faster. Just add it to the water, just make sure you are adding enough to the water. I would say do it twice a week. The amount is dependant on tank size.

AJP
09/07/2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Teremei
But it WILL help them spread faster. Just add it to the water, just make sure you are adding enough to the water. I would say do it twice a week. The amount is dependant on tank size.

Care to explain how you know it will make them spread faster?

King-Kong
09/07/2005, 03:01 PM
those oyster eggs are far too large for that type of feeding. I agree with AJP's statements, though I sometimes even directly feed my LPS (though this is pretty much never).

bertoni
09/07/2005, 04:26 PM
Feeding an animal can help it grow. The coral forum has some information on feeding corals in the sticky notes. Also, this book might be useful:

[ericsbook]

I just add coral food and let the pumps move it to the animals, but spot feeding will work as well, and will likely get more food the the animals targeted, in this case. Depends on how much work you want to do.

Teremei
09/07/2005, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by AJP
Care to explain how you know it will make them spread faster?

Bertoni pretty much said it. Things grow when you feed. Zoos and Mushrooms just need good light, but if you feed things like phyto they will absorb the nutrients and it will help them spread faster, or "grow".

AJP
09/07/2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Teremei
Bertoni pretty much said it. Things grow when you feed. Zoos and Mushrooms just need good light, but if you feed things like phyto they will absorb the nutrients and it will help them spread faster, or "grow".

read again, he said can help, not WILL make it grow faster. That is why I want to know how you know it will.

bertoni
09/07/2005, 06:57 PM
Yep, "can". If the zoanthids are already getting plenty of food, or your food selection won't help them, no sense spot feeding. It's a gamble.