PDA

View Full Version : Will this last? 33G+5G sump

welve
09/07/2005, 05:04 AM
Hi all,

2.5 months old in marine aquarium, 23 years on earth... Hope some of you can give me some advise, just answer 1, i would appreciate it. I don't even know my setup are right or not, but it seems to work for now. There is no one i can ask here(Brunei). Anyway here is the spec...

33gal aquarium-2 months old

1.5 inch of crush coral - (is that ok? seems to have a lot of "things"-worms around).

14kg of LR and 2 piece of big empty clams shells with an unknown clams(alive) on of the shell. Half of them from the sea(i'm a diver).

I do have a sump only that filled with 5G of water. Abit primitive 5 slots/stage. This is funny - cos i don't know what is it.
1st slot is the venturi skimmer.
2nd slot is activated carbon + some "half inch cement tubes"- atleast it look like cement to me. (does it helps, what is it?)
3rd slot is filled with crush corals.
4th slot is bioballs
5th slot - nothing except the pump that bring water back to the main tank.

Lighting - (don't laugh) 1 x 20w bio-lux 1 x 15w gro-lux and one 20w blue moon. Is that ok for a FOWLR + anemone?

Currently water quality is as follow: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate slightly above 10, kh 7, ph 8.3, temperature 27C to 31C depend on time.

Here is the stocklist I have
1 bud tip anemone, it grow 50% after 1 month, i stuff it with alot frozen brine shrimp every 2 day.
2 false percula - i caught them ^_^ but they don't like the anemone :(
1 lawnmover blenny - i caught it 2
1 blood shrimp - Here is one of the problem, it comes with 1 lost leg and 1 lost pincher. But after the molt, its still not there?
1 turbo snail
1 3inch tiger crowry - a little disgust, going throw it back to the sea on next dive.
1 blue damsel
1 bicolour angel- I love it alot, it doesn't rest!!

So far I lost 1 of the banded coral shrimp after a month - i think a hermit crab kill it when its molting, the hermit crab escape before i lay the dealth sentence...

I'm thinking to add 1 last fish and an invertebrate, a gramma loreto and a starfish(blue). Sorry for the long list but if you think that something can be improve in my system, I deeply appreciate it. Thank you!

bertoni
09/08/2005, 09:36 PM
[welcome]

Crushed coral gets pretty messy after a while, IME. I think a thin layer of sand is easier to keep clean. There's not as much space for debris.

The cement tubes, bio-balls, and crushed coral in the sump act as a biological filter, converting ammonia into nitrate. They sometimes seem to leave nitrate in the water, but you have a pretty heavy fish load, IMO, so you might need them.

The blood shrimp should regrow the missing parts over time.

If you've purchases any animals or live rock for your system, I would recommend against releasing anything back into the wild. You might add some disease or parasite to the area.

xtrstangx
09/08/2005, 09:39 PM
It looks like a good FOWLR setup. Some may tell you the anemone isn't getting enough light, but I think if you feed it every 2 days, it might be okay.

Nuhtty
09/08/2005, 09:42 PM
[welcome]

I would slow down, though

welve
09/09/2005, 02:13 AM
My aquarium cabinet actually can support 100G aquarium but it just that i need to try out and learn more before burning every dollars into it "^_^ But i currently designing a refugium sump 1st then the 100G aquarium.

It not uncommon here(Brunei) that we don't have metal halide or VHO bulb for sale. We only have one n half LFS that sell marine fish (that half doesn't sell equipment at all, only fish) that import from singapore eventhough our sea is flourish with reef fish.

Will adding lighting such as display spotlight help? Hmmm...i do realise my system abit too small, perhaps i should ask my LFS to trade in with the blue damsel.

bertoni
09/09/2005, 02:16 AM
The anemone might benefit from more light, but maybe not. As long as it's growing and looking healthy, you might be okay. Do you know the species?

welve
09/09/2005, 02:25 AM
I think its a entacmaea quadricolor because it has a transparent bud tip. The overall apearance is luminous green when light is on but when light switch off, its creamy white.

bertoni
09/09/2005, 02:27 PM
Hmm, if so, that's one of the more hardy varieties. It'd probably appreciate some good light, though. I have MH over mine, but fluorescents might work if you feed carefully. For a 33g tank, something around 2 65W fluorescents (power compact) would be nice. I don't know what's available to you, though.