PDA

View Full Version : Tank's Lop-Sided, Should I Be Worried?

Capnbob
09/06/2005, 11:11 PM
Howdy,

I've noticed that my tank's leaning slightly to know side. The water level's about half an inch lower on one side of the tank than on the other.

The stand seems to be holding up fine, I think it's the carpeted floor that's causing it.

Should I be worried that the tank's going to burst? It's been set up for about 2-3 weeks now.

Thanks,
Bobby

kau_cinta_ku
09/06/2005, 11:28 PM
being like it is i would level it out cause it will cause stress to the seals and prob. eventualy start to leak

Capnbob
09/06/2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by kau_cinta_ku
being like it is i would level it out cause it will cause stress to the seals and prob. eventualy start to leak Any tips on how to do that without draining all the water?

Here's a pic (Note the water level):
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/101032IMG_0512-_Resized.jpg

bertoni
09/07/2005, 01:14 AM
If it's a glass tank, I'd level it, but I'm paranoid about that sort of issue. I don't know of a particularly good way to do it without emptying the tank. I have been known to shift a tank an inch or two when full, but only for small tanks on strong stands. Bit of a gamble.

longhornreefer
09/07/2005, 01:17 AM
Judging from your picture, the tank seems to be less than a quarter inch off level. I have had success using wedge shaped shims carefully hammered under the stand. This looks like a 46 bowfront to me, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

CPT. MURPHY
09/07/2005, 01:24 AM
Yes you should take the time to level it. Longhornreefer is correct wooden shims are the best way to go about doing this. They can be found in the door section of your local hardware store. Just hammer them under the tank gently, then score them with a razor knife and snap the exposed portion off. GL

CPT.

CPT. MURPHY
09/07/2005, 01:25 AM
Just make sure you are very careful.

CPT.

Phan
09/07/2005, 01:48 AM
it was level when you started the tank? i would hunt down the cause before you try and level anything. if the stand is failing....and you go knocking shims in around it, it could be bad news. i cant think of a reason the carpet would cause this.

steve

Capnbob
09/07/2005, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Phan
it was level when you started the tank? i would hunt down the cause before you try and level anything. if the stand is failing....and you go knocking shims in around it, it could be bad news. i cant think of a reason the carpet would cause this.

steve It's been like this since day one. Also, it is a 46 bowfront.

Thanks guys.

Phan
09/07/2005, 03:04 AM
i would empty it first....at least half of it. to level a tank stand with shims it takes some adjusting...and that would be harder to do with all that weight. that and its not that much work to just empty the water into buckets and refil it when level.

steve

timmy_boy188
09/07/2005, 04:08 AM
My tank does that too, I think my floor is caving in and the people under me are going to have one wet living room

Phan
09/07/2005, 03:05 PM
timmy - if you are serious thats pretty stupid.

smoknreefrs
09/07/2005, 03:09 PM

i think its pretty funny Timmy...my stomach hurts from laughing

:lol: :lol: :lol: :eek1:

xtrstangx
09/07/2005, 03:31 PM
My tank was unlevel like yours. We jacked up the support beam that carried the load in the basement and it leveled out. You could shim it too, which might be easier.

timmy_boy188
09/07/2005, 03:53 PM

what is stupid, that my floor is uneven??? yea it is stupid, stupid floor

Phan
09/07/2005, 04:16 PM
no not the floor. that the people under you are going to have a wet living room. that was the stupid part.

that you see the problem, know whats causing it, and are doing nothing about it.

steve

timmy_boy188
09/07/2005, 04:36 PM
Ill put a note on their door

NicoleRM
09/07/2005, 05:35 PM
My tank looks like this too, but when I check the top of the stand, it's dead level in both directions. I think the plastic trim on the top of my tank must be crooked.

kris6983
09/07/2005, 05:36 PM
the only thing i would worry about putting shims under the stand it may put undo pressure some where else. if at all possible try to move the tank to another level place in the house. drain partially and put moving men under the corners and the tank should be easier to move.

IchHater
09/07/2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by timmy_boy188
Ill put a note on their door

now thatss funny:lol:

artis
09/07/2005, 05:43 PM
I'm cringing a little at the thought of driving shims under one end of the tank stand holding a fully loaded. Seems there might be a remote possibility that the tank might tip due to some accidental event. Is it possible to buy a rubber maid garbage can or two and pull out some water temporarily? Then you can add your shims to a much lighter tank and return the water quickly. Before doing this, also might want to consider if the rocks are pretty well anchored so one doesn't tip and fall.

Capnbob
09/07/2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by artis
I'm cringing a little at the thought of driving shims under one end of the tank stand holding a fully loaded. Seems there might be a remote possibility that the tank might tip due to some accidental event. Is it possible to buy a rubber maid garbage can or two and pull out some water temporarily? Then you can add your shims to a much lighter tank and return the water quickly. Before doing this, also might want to consider if the rocks are pretty well anchored so one doesn't tip and fall. I think this might be the only realistic option. The apartment I live in is small, and the tank's in the only place that will work. I'll post again once I've got the job done.

Thanks for the tips.

WaterKeeper
09/07/2005, 06:30 PM
:lol:

After I had a few my tank seems tilted too. :beer:

The worst effect of a non-level tank is if you have overflow weirs. If you size the overflows according to the tank dimensions the water will only overflow over part of the weir and may overload it. As far as structural concerns it would need to be some lopsided that the water was pouring on the floor. That might make the family downstairs take note of the problem. :D

arpee79
09/07/2005, 06:51 PM
Thats very responsible of you (Timmy) leaving a note is a great idea Should Read:" My floor sucks I have 55gallons of water ,start saving money for a wet/dry vacuum thanks in advance guys."

Plus Capnbob
Nice looking Corals in your tank can we get a closer shot please
Thanks ..oh and I hope you can fix you tank good luck.

timmy_boy188
09/07/2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by arpee79
Thats very responsible of you (Timmy) leaving a note is a great idea Should Read:" My floor sucks I have 55gallons of water ,start saving money for a wet/dry vacuum thanks in advance guys."

Plus Capnbob
Nice looking Corals in your tank can we get a closer shot please
Thanks ..oh and I hope you can fix you tank good luck.

hahaha, yea, but at the bottom of the note it will say p.s. please bring my fish back up to me asap so they dont die, thanks bunches,

Tim

JoeESSA
09/07/2005, 10:37 PM
Interesting. I have about the same amount of tilt in my 70G tank. My floor is terribly crooked and I did my best with shims to eliminate the tilt during setup. Despite that I have 1/4 to 1/2 inch tilt that I decided to live with. Hope it's going to be OK. It's been there for four months now and no apparent issues.

MrPike
09/09/2005, 06:35 PM
Overall unlevelness doesnt cause a problem. When people post that their tanks cracked because of an unlevel aquarium, they mean that part of the stand was higher then the rest and caused a pressure point on the glass, which after time, cracked. I wouldnt even bother messing with it unless the unlevelness bothers you asthetically.