PDA

View Full Version : tomato bin...

asnatlas
09/06/2005, 11:10 PM
LINK (http://community.webshots.com/photo/166111390/166113952ekHLTx)

The bin in the above pic is referred to as a "tomato bin" I think... If I recall right, Byerly's uses these... Does anyone know where I could pick them up locally ??

Shawn

asnatlas
09/06/2005, 11:21 PM
I found this...

LINK (http://www.carsonind.com/pricelists/Ag-Bin-May-2005.pdf)

Little more then I was looking to spend...

Shawn

GreshamH
09/07/2005, 04:19 AM
(sorry for responding to your clubs forum via California :D )
We get them used out here for around $100, and sometimes less. They're used widely in agriculture, so try larger farms near you as they may be getting rid of the older ones. I picked up a bunch from a winery a bit back for $75 each. FWIW, support the bottom with a 4x4 and a bit of 1/2" ply in the center. They don't like being filled with water with out it, although, they'll work for a spell like that (until you get the hair line fracture that always seems to appear at some point with them unsupported).

asnatlas
09/07/2005, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by GreshamH
(sorry for responding to your clubs forum via California :D )
We get them used out here for around $100, and sometimes less. They're used widely in agriculture, so try larger farms near you as they may be getting rid of the older ones. I picked up a bunch from a winery a bit back for $75 each. FWIW, support the bottom with a 4x4 and a bit of 1/2" ply in the center. They don't like being filled with water with out it, although, they'll work for a spell like that (until you get the hair line fracture that always seems to appear at some point with them unsupported).

Cool, thank you for the info :)

Shawn

porky
09/07/2005, 09:27 AM
I dont know if Shawn aka asnatlas reads this site (not paid that close of attention honestly), but I saw his post over on RC looking for the 'tomato bins' that Byerly's uses. Shawn, if youre reading this, they were originally made to hold butchered cattle parts... nice, no? The company that the store bought them from no longer makes them from what I understand, but looking at the price list you came up with for whatever site that was, those numbers look pretty in line with what I hear they cost the store, so Ild be suprised if you were able to find a new one for much cheaper. That being said, thinking of what their original use was, you may to better to contact a butcher or something and ask if they would have a supplier in mind for you.

And.. in case he doesnt read this site, anyone willing to pass that thought along to him?

~Aaron