PDA

View Full Version : Pistol shrimp

09/06/2005, 10:14 PM
I captured 3 of these guys. Should I keep them in the tank or what? I have heard they are good to have but I don't know how deadly they are after awhile.

kau_cinta_ku
09/06/2005, 10:58 PM
i keep mine in my tank and over a year nothing bad with them however i hardly ever see them come out of their home

TitaniuIVI
09/07/2005, 03:05 AM
Are you sure they're pistol shrimp? If it's for the clicking they might be mantis shrimp which are evil. If anything just look for picks online and see what you have.

LTJGAlex
09/07/2005, 07:19 AM
If it's a mantis, you have to get them out, no question. If they're pistol shrimp, they're mostly friendly...though their redecorating can sometimes be disruptive.

09/07/2005, 09:52 AM
These are definetely pistols. I can take a pic later when I get home. I have had them in my fish bowl for a week now and I feel bad that I've neglected them. If they're good guys, I want to make them happy :D

They certainly aren't mantis shrimps but I want to post the pics for peace of mind. :D

LTJGAlex
09/07/2005, 09:58 AM
Cool. In any case, I would personally think 3 pistols in 1 tank is too much. I have 1 in my 12g and I had no idea how extensive their burrows are. He has hollowed out about 1/4 of the tank under a piece of LR, and doesn't like anyone coming near it. He fires warning shots at crabs, my star and any fish that come near. I just think 3 would be too much, and might cause a major loss of structural integrity in the LR.

09/07/2005, 10:03 AM
Good to know that. I need to read up on this creature. I actually heard more popping last night from the main tank :( Hopefully, it's not a mantis.

jthornley
09/07/2005, 01:16 PM
I've got one in my tank as a hitchhiker on my Maiden's Hair rock. He loves to stick his claw out and snap at the chopstick as I pass by his hole. *SNAP SNAP SNAP* lol... the little guy is about 1/4 inch in size or less... such a big noise for a such a small critter.

I love seeing the hermits run away when they get close and he snaps his claw at them. "RUN AWAY!!!"