PDA

View Full Version : Help me with a SUMP/REFUGIUM. .

Teremei
09/06/2005, 09:54 PM
Hi guys. .

I was at the LFS today and picked up 2 peppermint shrimp. And I saw a 72gallon bowfront. And I got thoughts (as I'm sure we all) that, boy if I only would have spent $350 MORE when I initially bought my tank, I could have than instead of my 55.

Well that's out of the question. But the next best thing is I could get a nice 20/30 gallon sump and that would let me remove many of the mechanical units I have attached to the back wall of the tank. I am freeing up some space next to the tank so now I can get one of those larger units.

I am NO GOOD and can not build one myself. So any links to some good ready made sump/fuge units would be much apprecaited, along with any advice you may have. .

If I get a sump, I can sell my remora and get an in sump skimmer, put my heater into the sump, as well as sell my hang on fuge. That would remove ALOT of stuff I have visible in my main tank!!

Nuhtty
09/06/2005, 10:01 PM
If you get a decent sump you can keep the remora and make a portion of the sump into a fuge.

www.melevsreef.com

Teremei
09/06/2005, 10:13 PM
We'll I'd like to fit a sump into my tiny 55 stand but like I said before, I am NO GOOD at DIY. And he custom made that even did a custom job on the stand.

I was thinking more along the lines of buying a sump/fuge combo and selling my remora, and buying an urchin for the sump. Look if I thought I could fit a sump/fuge under my tank I would do it, and move the plugs to the side of the tank. But there is not too much space in there.

What do you guys think of aquafuge pro?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10667&Ntt=refugium&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1

expensive yes, but for someone like me it seems like I would be all set. All I would need is an overflow and urchin and I'd be ready to go.

Nuhtty
09/06/2005, 10:28 PM
It definately is pricey, but if you arent the DIY type at all, then try it out.

I have one of these:

http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=04-3311-1

I just hang a light in the middle with a ball of cheato - automatic fuge

Teremei
09/06/2005, 10:41 PM
Hey, that smallest one MIGHT actually fit under my 55. It's 10 3/4 inches. . So thanks for showing me that!

Do you think I would have space for some macro/sand/LR rubble + a heater and Skimmer down there?

Teremei
09/06/2005, 11:09 PM
Oh shoot! I just measured under my tank and it looks like it might not fit. It would have to be 10 1/2" wide. Oh Darnit, and I was so close to a perfect solution!!

My only other hope is to get someone to custom make one for under my tank. Know of anybody or places that do that? I just asked this same question on the Chicago Marine Club here on RC.

Teremei
09/06/2005, 11:34 PM
Somebody at my local club forum reccomended

barraquatic.com

It seems pretty good to me so I emailed him!! Wish me luck!

Nuhtty
09/07/2005, 05:54 AM
www.glasscages.com