PDA

View Full Version : Powder Brown tang

ptoleary
09/06/2005, 09:13 PM
Just bought a powder browm tang last thursday he is in a 125 she seems to be shaking up and down the water is fine he is eating cant figure it out.:confused:

markandkristen
09/06/2005, 09:48 PM
sounds like ick possibly is he scratching himself against rocks or sand

jbanks
09/06/2005, 10:05 PM
ptoleary,

I would agree with markandkristen. That, along with powder browns, powder blues, goldrims and achillies tangs are very difficult to keep in new tanks. If the tank is less than 6 months and it is a reef, I would remove the tang and bring him back to where you bought him from.

If you insist on trying to keep him, you are risking the health of your other fish because these tangs are ich magnets. The only thing you can possibly do is keep him eating food that has been soaked in garlic extract and some fresh ginger. Some will say it is "snake oil " treatment and unproven and they are right, it's not scientifically proven. However, I want to help any way I can and I have seen this work in my tank and in friends tanks. For the ginger you would use fresh ginger root from the supermarket ground up in water using a blender. Soak the food including the nori/seaweed in the water for about 15 minutes before you feed the fish. Again, keep him eating. The stronger he is the better chance he will have to fight off the disease.

ptoleary
09/06/2005, 10:16 PM
He is eating fine

Paintbug
09/06/2005, 10:19 PM
how long has he been doing this?

GorillaReefer
09/06/2005, 10:43 PM
get rid of him. i lost three fish cuz of my pbt who got ick. still have 4 more fish i'm trying to save from ick.