PDA

View Full Version : How to setup new tank with cured live rock?

charliew0
09/06/2005, 09:06 PM
Hi,
I am ready to fill up salt water to my new tank(160G). This is my first time. I don't know if I am doing it right.

1. put 20 lb. live sand as seed in the bottom.
2. put 4" - 6" play sand on top.
3. fill 40 gallons salt water (well mixed for 24 hours).
4. put 50 lb live rock, these are cured live rock. I will buy them from other people's fish tank.
5. wait for 2-3 days to fill up rest of tank. (I need time to make water).
6. wait for ? days for sand clouds cleared out.
7. turn on powerhead, turn on skimmer, turn on filter.

Any thing wrong in my procedure?
Do I expect ammonia or nitrite going up?
Do I need change water weekly?
When can I add some snails, starts, hermit crabs?
When can I add some fishes?
What are hardy and cheaper fish I should start?
I am sure I will lost some life to build up my experience.

Please give some advice before I make mistake.
Thanks,

Charlie...

scottfarcuz
09/06/2005, 09:20 PM
Any thing wrong in my procedure?
Put the live sand on top. This will make a sandstorm less likely

Do I expect ammonia or nitrite going up?
Probably some. If you can transort the rock underwater and expose it to air as little as possible.

Do I need change water weekly?
Keep ammonia below 1ppm for the best survival rate of any hitchikers.

When can I add some snails, starts, hermit crabs?
I would wait atleast 3 weeks after no ammonia is showing up. No need to rush things early. Snails are delicate!

When can I add some fishes?
I would wait atleast 2 months personally. You will likely still have an algea/diatom bloom in these early stages. Wast producing fish will prolong and complicate things.

What are hardy and cheaper fish I should start?
I can't give good advice on this. Getting a fish out of a 160g later on that is a problem or you don't like is going to be a problem. research any fish very well before even thinking about buying one!

I would try to makeup more than 40g of water before adding anything. I don't think 40g in a 160g tank will cover all your rock. Once you add sand/rock you want to get the flow and filtration (skimmer) going asap....

BenH98
09/06/2005, 09:21 PM
I would turn my ph's, skimmer's, and filters asap. Don't worry about the sand storm... the flow will help settle it.

You should expect all parameters to go up... this is part of the cycle. Once your ammonia and nitrite and nitrate are zero then you are done and ready to put creatures in. You should get an algae bloom once the cycle is complete. It comes with all new tanks.

You do need to do water changes weekly. This helps clear out any excess build-up of unecessary bacteria, nitriates/nitrites.

You can start adding livestock once the cycle is complete.

Ok, my roomates are leaving me and i need to go now...

charliew0
09/06/2005, 10:41 PM
Very helpful, thanks guys.