PDA

View Full Version : which protein skimmer? lights?

marymellen
09/06/2005, 05:38 PM
hi all-
I am going to be starting my first saltwater tank with maybe incorporating corals in the future. I will be using a 20 gallon. I want to use a combo filter/skimmer to reduce clutter. These are the ones I have found:
All-flo by Freedom filter (freedomaquarium.com)
Via aqua multi skimmer (via-aqua.net)
Skilter filter
Bak Pak
Biostar Flotor by aqua-medic

does anyone have experience with these? what are your thoughts? Do any of these have enough power to provide circulation for a reef?, or will I need an additional jet?

Also, I was looking into compact lighting and found these:
coralife lunar aqualife 24" (2 x 65 watts) ~$120

current usa sunpaq sattellite dual 24" (2 x 65 watts) ~$120

jebo/odyssea dual 24" (2 x 65 watts) ~$60

all have moon lights and cooling fans.
anyone know why the odyssea are half the price? are they junk?

-any advice would be appreciated.
thanks
mary ellen

xtrstangx
09/06/2005, 05:44 PM
Theres no need to a "filter" in saltwater tanks. They can lead to higher nitrates. As long as you have a good amount of live rock (20-30 pounds) and a protein skimmer, you are good. For a skimmer, I'd look at getting the CPR Bak Pak (remove the Bio-bale media), an AquaC Remora, or a Coralife Super Skimmer 65.

As for the lights- Coralife and CurrentUSA are very good fixtures. You'd be happy with either of them. I have a CurrentUSA Orbit fixture on my 40g and love it.

The Jebo/Odyssea is junk. Don't buy it.

twfields79
09/11/2005, 12:37 PM
Why do you think that the jebo/odyssea is junk? For I thought that light is light, I mean if you have two 65watt bulbs you have two 65watt bulbs? Is there something else that should be taken into concideration?