PDA

View Full Version : ID my protien skimmer, please?

ihavfishues
09/06/2005, 04:20 PM
Here is the pic of the protien skimmer we got at our LFS. The guy never told us the brand... my husband had bought FW fish from him YEARS and YEARS ago, and didnt' question it, just forked over $189 for this thing... I'm concerned about the air bubbles I'm getting... and it has a slow leak around the little red button where you turn it up and down...

This one's for you, Scuba Oz... hope it works this time!!!
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76/ginavail/IM000361.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76/ginavail/IM000360.jpg

YEAH! It worked... sorry the first one is so big... I'd say the whole skimmer, canister and all, is about 18" tall...

DOes anyone recognize this brand? The guy told us this was better than a SeaClone, because it didn't dump garbage back into the water??? Has a HUGE powerhead for intake and a 3/4" grooved tube for return...

It's going "below deck" next week when I set up my sump/fuge...

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!!!

:p

Steven Pro
09/06/2005, 04:36 PM
My best guess is a Pacific Coast Import skimmer. The materials seem right for that brand.

BenH98
09/06/2005, 04:45 PM
This IS a Coralife SuperSkimmer 65. I have the exact same one! It works great!

Check out my gallery to see some pics of mine...

IMO - You got ripped off for $189! You can buy them online new for around $100 and that includes shipping. My LFS sells the 65 for $120.

ronkent
09/06/2005, 05:08 PM
Yup. Definitely a CSS-65. I have the 125 but my buddy has the 65.

ihavfishues
09/06/2005, 05:34 PM
ronkent -- BEAUTIFUL KITTY!!!

benH98 --

Yes, I'm sure we got ripped.... I got my coralife lights from Premium Aquatics (with lunarlights) for $134, the same guy wanted $229 for the one without the moons...

Of course, he also wants $35 for frags... also the one who told us we could have two angels... also sold us LR that was void of any life... kept in dark tanks... well, we didn't know any better then!!

I just think the guy is shifty. He sold us the PS and it never had a box... doesnt' have the brand on it that I can see... It does work well, though. Except for the leak and the excessive (IMO) bubbles.

Have either of you had problems with bubbles, or did you do yours the smart way and put it in your sump???

:smile2:

THANKS!

smoknreefrs
09/06/2005, 05:53 PM
its a coral life

usmcsgt
09/06/2005, 06:46 PM
it must be an older coralife, mine doesnt look like that.

BenH98
09/06/2005, 09:00 PM
You might be able to fix the leak by checking the o ring seals... I have an output mod that helps reduce the bubbles coming back into the tank. If you want to know about it, PM me... You can sorta see it in my gallery if you look closely.

scottfarcuz
09/06/2005, 09:07 PM
The coralife super skimmer is the same as the pacific coast import skimmer. Atleast they look nearly identical to me...

Funny thing is when they were pacific coast no one wanted then and I think they probably sold the design to coralife who put there name on it and is selling them all over the place.

My LFS has a few of the pacifics on clearence because they didn't sell well at all.

BenH98
09/06/2005, 09:15 PM
weird...

09/06/2005, 09:18 PM
BenH98, can you write up a thread on that mod and post it in the DIY forum? I'm sure others would be interested as well... I sure know I am :D

ronkent
09/06/2005, 09:40 PM
Thanx ihavfishues. His name is Patrick and is the best kitty in the world.

markandkristen
09/06/2005, 09:52 PM
i have one word for you Google! LOL. i buy a few things at the local fish store but i check around. the lfs i went to tonight ..
i asked about a remora c backpack and he said they dont carry it and it probbly isnt a good one... well i know it is so im not buying my skimmer from him.

09/06/2005, 10:02 PM
One of My LFS is the SAME way. If they don't carry it, it's no good...at least not until they carry it. And the staff at that one are a bunch of idiots...Since when, in the history of the sea, does salt evaporate?