PDA

View Full Version : Stings all over my hand while pulling hair algae

akabilly
09/06/2005, 03:08 PM
Could it be bristle worms? These are the only creatures I see living in this algae. The bites on my hands take at least a day to appear, no pain is felt while weeding the tank.

After the bites or stings appear they itch like crazy, similar to a fire ant bite, they take a week to go away. Any ideas or any similar experiences?

This has happend 3 x now, neoprene gloves will now be part of my cleaning supplies.

bertoni
09/06/2005, 03:18 PM
There are a lot of possibilities. I wear gloves when I work in the tank for this reason. You could also be feeling some isopod bytes, or a bunch of other animals. Since eventually you might get an allergic response, I'd recommend that you be very, very diligent about the use of gloves.

jedimike
09/06/2005, 03:31 PM
Can you use latex gloves? I have some, but was always afraid to use them because of the chemicals in the latex and the powder they put on them.

Randall_James
09/06/2005, 03:43 PM
The powder is talc, best not to get that in your tank as it is a metal.

The latex posses more risk to you than the tank (latex allergies are often very severe and cause anaphylactic shock in many) This allergy is one we are seeing on a very steep increase for some reason. If the latex does not bother you, wash the powder off or get unpowdered brands.

You can get Veterinary Exam Gloves (shoulder length) pretty cheap or regular aquarium gloves.

akabilly
09/07/2005, 01:54 PM
Are neoprene gloves ok?

Randall_James
09/07/2005, 02:22 PM
Yes, use them, they are fine

neoprene gloves are the replacement for latex and work just fine, they just do not hug the hand as well

nluchau
09/07/2005, 05:49 PM
akabilly,
I think I get exactly what you get. Does your hand rash up and stuff like that. Mine does. its happened to me about 4 times now since working with saltwater. Must be allergic to something in the tank

Ebisan
09/07/2005, 06:24 PM
You could use non-powdered latex, nitrile or neoprene gloves.

WaterKeeper
09/07/2005, 06:36 PM
Please be careful and wear gloves if you are sensitive to the tank's environment. As mentioned, anaphylactic shock is always a possibility and it is more likely to be caused by the critters in your tank than the latex gloves. The rash/welts are a warning.

dugg
09/07/2005, 07:03 PM
If you have reactions to your tank when working in it, i highly recommend using some gloves. I know a guy that ignored the rashes, and ended up going into complete liver failure. He spent almost 2 years recovering. The doctors never did figure out what exactly had done it to him. Healthy one day, rash the next, liver failure that night. Not a funny situation to put yourself in.

jthornley
09/07/2005, 08:40 PM
I've always thought about getting some gloves... I just get localized lesions that seep goey blood occasionally. I think I'll be fine though.

If you show any symptoms of an allergic reaction you must take precautions. I myself have not shown any, but I'm terrified by bristleworms and button polyps.

Another dumb thing some people don't do... wash your hands after being in the tank!!!

Randall_James
09/07/2005, 09:07 PM
I would add "Wash your hands before" also

I guess I should have stated "Statistically the gloves are a bigger hazard than the tank"

As most do not have salt water tanks, it kind of skews the numbers, my bad.... In our case either or could be equally dangerous if you are in fact allergic. (There currently is no treatment for latex allergy and avoidance is the only option)

Thanks for pointing that out bertoni

nluchau
09/07/2005, 09:51 PM
I wash my hands before and after. Its not all the time I get a rash on my hand but its occasional. Thanks for the glove idea.

jedimike
09/07/2005, 10:48 PM
OK, I've heard the "scary" stories on Zoos and carpet anemones pack a punch... then you have lionfish and foxfaces, but I've never heard about button polyps. What can they do?

jthornley
09/07/2005, 11:10 PM
General Information: Although Palythoa sp., better known as Button Polyps, are generally not as colorful as Zoanthus Polyps, they are still a great coral that grows very quickly. The quick growth and density makes this a good coral to use to give more texture and life to your Live Rock. Beware though as all species of Palythoa sp. produce a chemical called palytoxin. Palytoxin is a very potent toxin which can be lethal to humans. Always observe caution and wear gloves when handling Palythoa sp. In addition, always wash your hands with soap after handling.
http://tropicalresources.net/phpBB2/fish_profiles_palythoa.php

akabilly
09/08/2005, 09:10 AM
Are bristle worm stings acidic? Cause I was thinking of soaking my hand in the sink with some baking soda and warm water...amonia?

Another question, kind of like bee keepers who build a tolerance to bee stings; will handling stuff in reef tanks help us build a tolerance as well? I'm not talking buttom polyps or lion fish or the like.

I will start wearing gloves when cleaning my tank, but i am just curious as to what everyones thoughts are.

Ira NZ
09/08/2005, 09:23 AM
I don't think the bristleworms sting exactly, it's just a calcium? based bristle. So if anything washing it in vinegar might help dissolve the bristles.

bertoni
09/08/2005, 03:55 PM
I think ammonia might help neutralize the toxins from the bristles. Might be worth checking. Vinegar might help, too, I suppose.

dpaynter
09/08/2005, 04:08 PM
Vinegar works to disolve the bristleworm spines. Also placing your hands in hot water (as hot as you can stand) will help neutralize the toxins from stings and also relieve the itching.