PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs advice.

Romeosdoom
09/06/2005, 02:51 AM
Hey guys just recently started a 75 gallon tank. My plans are to go reef and I have a few questions. I just cured my rock and am about to put some fish into it. The tank was prior, a fish only system that has been running since Feb. 2005. I'll inform you of what it consists of.
I have:
wet dry with bio balls
seaclone 100 protein skimmer
Satellite pc 65 * 4 with two lunar lights
100lbs of marshall island rock
80 hermit crabs, 3 emerald crabs, and 50 nassarius snails.

First question? Stocking levels?
I want to have a total of 8 fish; Flame Angel, Royal Gramma, False Percula Clown, Achilles Tang, Sleeper Goby, Blue Tang, Lawnmower Blenny, and a Foxface. Is that too many and are they compatible?

Second question? Lighting?
Should I add two 150 watt metal halide pendants and gut out my power compacts too? I want to have a variety of sps and lps corals. How many watts per gallon should I have?

Third question? Calc Reactor?
What is a calc reactor? And do I need it?

Fourth question? What good advice do you have about what my next step should be in achieving my awesome aquatic environment? Example: Do I need a chiller? Refugium? Keep Bio Balls? Any other equipments? Any chemical supplements I should add?

dkh0331
09/06/2005, 05:30 AM
1. Loose the bio-balls - take a handfull out every week until they are completely gone.
2. Possible to add MH's - I would keep the pc's making them actinics and add 175W MH's.
3. Calc reactor is an option. I would start out with dripping kalc and seeing how that goes. A number of other options.
4. Chiller - Are you having problems with temp? I don't have a chller on my 110, I just have a couple of fans blowing on my sump.
5. IMPHO, yes I think you have too many fish, and 80 too many crabs. I prefer to have a tank crab free, but that is a personal choice.

HTH

David

goalieman92
09/06/2005, 05:48 AM
that type of tang gets way too large and is a pain to take care of. i would suggest a 1-2 in. kole tang.