PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a 180

Heavy Lifter
09/05/2005, 10:14 PM
I recently got a 180 glass cube style tank with overflow and have a 29 gallon sump/filter tank underneath with a Iwaki 70RLT pump running it.
It has 350lbs of sand /crushed corral in it with maybe 50lbs of live rock in it. I have metal hallids and florescent lights with the 2 big ballasts powering it. I filled it and let it run for 2days and now just added salt. I am very new to this and my only other tank is a 29 gallon freshwater. I have a ton of research to do and plan on growing live reef's and have plenty of pretty fish. I will add a big protein skimmer after a couple months af fish. I know a 180 is a large tank for a newbie but it was given to me.:D
Thanks and I will try not to ask extremely stupid questions.

z_rivers
09/05/2005, 11:05 PM
please tell me you put the salt in before you put in the live rock and live sand. he you put those in just fresh water, now all you have is plain rock and sand.

Equalizer
09/05/2005, 11:07 PM
Dang I wish I started with a 180. Bigger is better, more room for error.

I would mix the salt in a diffrent container.

Good Luck and WELCOME to RC

bertoni
09/05/2005, 11:07 PM
[welcome]

JeBuS
09/05/2005, 11:32 PM
pics pics pics

Randall_James
09/05/2005, 11:37 PM
Ask all the questions you feel that you need to. It is better than a 180 gallon disaster :D

Heavy Lifter
09/06/2005, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by z_rivers
please tell me you put the salt in before you put in the live rock and live sand. he you put those in just fresh water, now all you have is plain rock and sand.
No, but the rock has been sitting dry in a bucket for a few weeks. The crushed corral was shoveled into buckets when I brought it home and I had to redo the plumming because the original sump was leaking.
Is that pump efficient for my tank? People told me it was ok if the rock was dry but it will be like starting a new system which I am. Or do I have to drain it and start all over:confused: Thanks
Pics will come but I cant resize the pics that small:mad2:

bertoni
09/07/2005, 12:15 AM
Lots of people use dead rock as part of their tank's decor. I would just recommend buying some good live rock to help seed the dead stuff with some animals, etc.

I am not particularly fond of crushed coral because it seems to become a maintenance headache over time. You might want to consider using sand or just skipping the substrate altogether.