PDA

View Full Version : skimmer question

markandkristen
09/05/2005, 10:06 PM
i am looking at a remora c backpack
they say i can buy the skimmer box for an extra 34 do i need that
is this the only descent skimmer for a 37 gallon tall as far as a backpack im looking at over 160 for this one is thier cheaper types that work as effeciently or is this a must have

markandkristen
09/05/2005, 10:39 PM
bump

ACBlinky
09/05/2005, 10:58 PM
Do you mean you're looking at an AquaC Remora or a CPR Backpack?
I have a Remora on my 14g, it's fantastic. I didn't opt for the box attachment (bubble trap) because it's apparantly huge, and I don't want to crowd my nano with equipment. The skimmer works just fine without it :)
If you're buying a Remora for your 37g I'd say you're probably fine without the extra part if you want to save the money, but do opt for the larger MaxiJet 1200, it's only a few dollars and makes a difference. If it's the BackPack we're talking about, I can't really comment - I've heard some good reviews, but never used one myself. HTH a little.

SaltyNewb
09/05/2005, 11:04 PM
go for the remora, don't even waste time on the backpack

bertoni
09/05/2005, 11:06 PM
The skimmer will work without the preskimmer box, but I use one to remove the film at the water's surface. That's supposed to increase the effectiveness of the skimmer, and it also removes the oil-whatever film, IME. The Remora Pro box I have is huge, though, as stated, and I wouldn't want it in a display tank. You might want to check the dimensions.

usmcsgt
09/05/2005, 11:17 PM
Have you looked into the coralife super skimmers?

markandkristen
09/05/2005, 11:41 PM
i just checked out the coral life i think the aqua c remora takes up less space too
the only thing im concerned about is performance

i have a aquamedic turboflotor 100 multi and i would almost compare it to a euroreef. it produces the blackest gunkiest nasties smelling stuff. i had a cheap one that i had to adjust every other day and it only produced lime green koolaide
i understand the remora is the best as far as producing the best skim ?

Danger731
09/06/2005, 10:27 PM
I JUST PICKED UP A REMORA C FOR 95 BUCKS, LOOK AT SELLING SECTION LOCAL REEF FORUMS .......

ALREADY 1/2 CUP PLUS OF SKIMATE IN 24 HOURS (WAS USING A SKILTER), SEARCH MY POST I STARTED TITLED PRISM OR REMORA UNDER MY NAME