PDA

View Full Version : Who's ordered Liverock from Dr. Foster & Smith/Liveaquaria.com

6Speed
09/05/2005, 09:24 PM
Just wondering how quality their rock is. I'm located in Tuscaloosa AL, about a 5 hour drive from the panhandle of FL. I was kinda hoping my location being near the gulf would allow me to find a cheaper shipping price on LR from a FL distributer. I noticed that liveaquaria.com has a special on Fiji liverock, 89.00 for 45lbs., and appears that their shipping charge is 1.59 per pound? Does this sound right for shipping? Could I order some from a FL distributer for cheaper?

I am wondering if it would be a better choice for me to drive an hour to Birmingham and buy some liverock from the stores there. I am thinking the stores will probably be charging something like 6.99-7.99 per lb, and then I must factor in the price of gas there and back.

ringnecks
09/05/2005, 09:27 PM
i bought some from them in the past and there rock is awesome at dr.foster and smith

dcoufal
09/05/2005, 09:58 PM
I've bought Lalo (LiveAquaria) and Caribbean (eTropicals) and both were good. The colors on the Lalo were the best I've seen on anything short of Marshall LR....

Dwain

drjrose
09/05/2005, 10:07 PM
The rock I got from them was pretty good. The price was very good.

skyhawk8519
09/05/2005, 10:13 PM
i just ordered mine from them....not too impressed.
my rock came in crumbles, and some had excellent coraline areas, but most was bare and completely uncured (even though it said pre-cured) it was looking rough.
I have not seen a single thing that "hitched" a ride in about three weeks, and so much of it is flaking off day to day, and looking more and more barren

dont worry, my water is great, and things SHOULD be better than what they are.

Just make sure you buy the premium rock, bite the bullet, you wont enjoy the stuff on sale.

dntx5b9
09/05/2005, 10:17 PM
Just bought 30lb of Lalo rocks from them. I was happy with the rocks. I posted a picture in the photo gallery under Fish only tank section. Take a look if you are interested.

BeesGoneWild
09/05/2005, 10:57 PM
buy from premium aquatics, just email them before you make a purchase and they will honestly tell you what it looks like. Its great rock for an awsome price

spamin76
09/06/2005, 06:29 AM
I ordered some a while back - decent stuff - I think it was fiji - it was like 2-3 years ago. Not spectacular rock, but a good value :D

MCary
09/06/2005, 01:12 PM
I pretty sure most of the pre-cured fiji live rock you buy is Walt Smith live rock no matter where you get it, so get the best price. Its all the same.

6Speed
09/06/2005, 01:21 PM
Thank you for the replies everyone! I called a few fish stores in Birmingham that have a good name and have been in the business for many years. One store carries cured liverock for 5.99/lb. I will probably buy just a few pieces from them to help seed my 85lbs of baserock. If I still need more, I'll order a 30lb package from Fosters/Smith.

Thanks!
Zack

phineasdad
09/06/2005, 01:26 PM
i bought my rocks from jeff's exotic fish. exoticfish.com. good prices with fantastic colored rocks. i had button polyps all over my tongan shelf rock, feather dusters, and plenty of coralline algae.

check them out. http://www.exoticfish.com

JoSndd
09/06/2005, 02:38 PM
Check out this site www.floridaliverock.com I just got 30-pds of there Premium Corralline coverd rock. The rock is great I have had it in my tank for 2-weeks it has like 5-encrusted tukey wing clams on it plus polps. it is completly coverd in corralline which has already started spreading to my 50-pds base rock. The freshness of this rock is amazing my ammonia level has remained at zero. I got the 30-pd package deal $159.99 deliverd DHL to my door in under 24-hrs.

dcoufal
09/06/2005, 04:16 PM
I used the 30# from floridaliverock.com in my 40g about a year ago.... When setting up my 125 this year I opted for a combo of 30# Lalo (Live Aquaria), 30# Caribbean (eTropicals), 55# base rock from reeferrocks.com, and 20# or so of various other pieces I had collected...

The difference between the Lalo/Caribbean and the floridaliverock is *extreme*. If you want "hitchhikers" - go with floridaliverock. If you want nice, porous rock with many holes for coral attachement - go with Lalo.

I was happy with the floridaliverock my first time around - a bunch of "freebies" so to speak. However, I soon realized I didn't want those "freebies". While there are no "freebies" with the just about anything from LA and etropicals, you do receive nice porous rock - which, I believe is a much better choice in the long run.

I'm also a firm believer in Marshall Island rock from Premium Aquatics -- truly sweet rock.

Dwain

MCary
09/06/2005, 04:43 PM
Fiji premium live rock from Foster & Smith

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18593Rock1.JPG

Couple weeks later:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18593Rockwork.JPG

Its okay. No serious complaints.

Mike

bj32482
09/06/2005, 06:45 PM
www.phishybusiness.com

eggman
09/06/2005, 06:48 PM
I also got mine from them...good price but no hitchhikers..have slowly been adding rock over the last few months. I was impressed w/ the selection they sent some really big pieces and some rubble...pics in the gallery
thanks
Egg

BWilfong
09/06/2005, 11:38 PM
I just ordered from them 3 weeks ago. Fiji (the $89 sale rock), 30lbs Deep Water Fiji, and 30lbs Tonga.

No hitchhiker what so ever. Alot of flaking. With the 30lbs Deep Water Fiji, I got 2 rock and a bunch of rubble.

What I did get was some okay shapes, I would probably not get it from them if I was going to do it again.

Probably I would go with reefermadness.com