PDA

View Full Version : New 46 Gallon FO

wildcataquatics
09/05/2005, 07:22 PM
First Post here so be gentle :)

Setting Up my first marine aquarium for FO. I hav a 46 Gallon Bow front with base rock and artificial corals only( read that the fish would eat everything of the live rock ?) so I stuck with the artificail look. Here is what I have so far.

46 Gal Bowfront
Penguin 350 power filter
Prizm Deluxe Skimmer
Rena Cal 200 watt heater
Tahitian Black Moon Sand (liked the look)
RIO 1700 Power Head
Red Sea Test Kit
Eclipse 30 Watt Day Flourescent
GFCI and drip loops on all power cords.
3 stage RO from ReefAuatics.

Now on to the questions.

I plan on starting a FO tank right now. I am wanting to begin the cycling process with some **** tail shrimp and wait until the tank is fully cycled before adding anything. Is this okay or can I use "CYCLE" to aid in the process.

Should I SKIM while waiting for the tank to cycle ?

Would it be okay to store my makeup water and my change water in my garage if it is heated and areated in rubbermaid 55 gallon cans with tops ?

I know I will have many more questions during this patient process. Thanks for any info or advice you can give me.

bertoni
09/05/2005, 07:51 PM
[welcome]

I've had bad luck with the Red Sea test kits, but they might work for you. I would start skimming right away, but I'd also just use a very small piece of fish food or the like to get going. It looks as if you don't have any live rock? I would skip using the "CYCLE".

Mixikng up water in the garage might be okay. I guess I'd worry a bit about car exhaust or any chemicals stored there; maybe a check in the chemistry forum would be in order.

wildcataquatics
09/05/2005, 08:04 PM
Thanks, bertoni.
I do not have any live rock yet , as I read it was not needed. I have room to add live rock if suggested. the LFS has plenty.
Will I need any special lighting for the live rock or will the 30 watt day bulb do for live rock ?. My concerns are the same as far as using my garage for storage of the water. I will browse the chemistry forum for suggetsions. Thanks again for any responses.

bertoni
09/05/2005, 08:09 PM
The live rock will be fine without light, although it won't grow coralline algae without some illumination. You should be fine unless you want purple rock.