PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Backround Experiment

Bcollins111900
09/03/2005, 05:07 PM
When I first started my reef tank 5-6 months ago I was wondering on what to use for a backround. I received many replies from people to paint it black or blue or juest leave it be as it will eventually have coraline covering the back. I went ahead and purchased some mirrored glass from work and had it cut to fit on the back of the tank (outside the tank). To my suprise I was loosing alot of light out the back of the tank. When the mirror was installed the light was reflected back into the tank. Now since the mirror has been installed there is a substantial amount of coraline on the back of the tank then an other panel of glass on the tank. IMO the mirror has helped increase the amount of coraline on the back of the tank in a very short amount of time. I will try to post some pictures as soon as I can to show everyone it's progress. I would highly encourage you to try it. The mirror also makes the tank appear deeper than what it actually is. The fish don't mind there reflections either.

porky
09/03/2005, 05:39 PM
I've thougth about it, but like you and others, were discouraged to do so. I'm glad it's working out for you.
I'd be interested to see some pics.

Rockker
09/03/2005, 08:05 PM
I have a mirror background on my seahorse tank.

It's a 36 gallon flat back hex.

I like it for seahorse watching.

Rockker

CaveManNOhio
09/03/2005, 09:54 PM
I got to see bc's tank for the first time tonight, I and my friend that came with me were very impressed. He's got a sweet tank going.
I hope mine looks as nice some day. Keep up the good work.

CaveMan
:smokin: