PDA

View Full Version : DIY Carbon Canister?

cj_basser
09/03/2005, 11:22 AM
Hey,

Has anyone ever made a DIY carbon canister out of PVC? I need to run carbon, and to me, the only efective way of doing that would be to use a canister filter, or DIY canister.p

Thanks in advance,

CJ

Daytymer
09/03/2005, 01:07 PM
I put carbon in a nylon stocking and put it into the sock in my sump where the water comes in. I've never made a canister. Sorry

thebrian
09/03/2005, 02:36 PM
You could try one of the RO unit add-on housings. They're $17 at Buckeye Field Supply. http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showproducts.asp?Category=37&Sub=104

~Brian

cj_basser
09/03/2005, 06:10 PM
thanks guys. i actually need to run the carbon very soon, so i am afraid i wont be able to use the RO canister.

I was thinking about using a 1" PVC pipe for the chamber. I could pump water into the chamber, and then just have it go out the other side.

One question, though. TO keep the carbon contained in the chamber, could I use Unions at both endes, and put fiberglass window screen inbetween the two parts of the union?

SUMMERS
09/03/2005, 09:27 PM
Go to Wallyworld and in the fabric deartment you can find some poly sheets. They work great for keeping carbon and Rowaphos in the reactor.

A 3x3' sheet is about $6 or so. You will be able to cut a good amount of circles out of it.