PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on adheasive

sammie
09/02/2005, 11:45 AM
I know it's not the best thing to do but what will hold acrylic to glass. I'm putting dividers in a tank and I haven't had much luck with silicone in the past and was wondering if there is anything better to hold them in place?

dragon_slayer
09/02/2005, 11:48 AM
weld-on #810 will work permanently and securely. silicone will only adhere to glass not the acrylic, it can be used to 'wedge' the acrylic in but it is a failure waiting to happen.

kc

hollback
09/02/2005, 11:48 AM
Iv'e used silicone on all my baffels with no problems. Even my overflow box is held together with it.

jsykes
09/02/2005, 03:14 PM
I turned a 20gal long into a sump and used acrylic for the baffles. Have never had a problem with using silicone. Just make sure it is 100% silicone, no mold inhibators.

Paul B
09/02/2005, 04:00 PM
I use "GOOP" glue. It stays flexable and will adhere to glass and acrylic. They make all different kinds of it but they are all the same except outdoor GOOP and maybe Marine GOOP. Don't use those two, they have a mold a cide or algae cide in them.
Paul

sammie
09/02/2005, 05:40 PM
Paul B. I've never heard of "Goop" glue, can you get this at Lowes and how does it come, in a can, or tube like silicone?

Thanks

daveisrael
09/02/2005, 07:08 PM
I've used the marine "goop" glue also with no problems. Although I was gluing PVC to acrylic so I don't know about glass to acrylic. You can buy it at Lowe's in the glue section.

CaveManNOhio
09/02/2005, 08:39 PM
I've used silicone(100%) to build my baffles in my 30 gl sump and have had no problems. They have it in the tubes by plexy and acrylic sheets at Home Depot. I have even hit them pretty good putting stuff in and taking stuff out and they have never moved a bit. I have also used Aquarium Silicone with success.

Paul B
09/02/2005, 08:41 PM
Yes Lowe's, Home Depot, or a hardware store. It comes in a tube and it is clear. The only reason I said to not use marine Goop is that I manufacture an article with it and I buy a lot of it, the company said it has some type of algacide in it but who knows. I use that stuff for everything. There is no really good substance to glue glass to PVC but Goop is the best I have found.
Paul

sammie
09/02/2005, 11:17 PM
Thanks everyone...