PDA

View Full Version : OT- Gas prices

cward
08/31/2005, 11:24 AM
Holly crap, gas just went from $2.69 to $3.09 at lunch time........
I just saved $9.00 by getting gas before I came to work.

asnatlas
08/31/2005, 11:32 AM
Yea, I know what you mean, I filled up yesterday and today on my way to work I was watching everyone changing the price to like 3.29 for premium...

Shawn

digitaldego77
08/31/2005, 11:40 AM
I am working on an internal combustion engine that runs on a concoction of bubble algae and skimmate.

Lincutis
08/31/2005, 11:42 AM
glad I filled up yesterday. But I am traveling two or three times this week.

cward
08/31/2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by digitaldego77
I am working on an internal combustion engine that runs on a concoction of bubble algae and skimmate.

How about working on an engine that runs on old saltwater instead.... I change 50g every two weeks, so I figure I would never have to pay for fuel again.

porky
08/31/2005, 11:54 AM
http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_mar2003/GasPrices2003.jpg

Hey Chris, both of you, check this out.
Maybe one day this will be an alternative, compressed air technology cars.
An overview of the air car
The technology that MDI vehicles use is not new, in fact it had been around for years. Compressed air technology allows for engines that are both non polluting and economical. After ten years of research and development, MDI is prepared to introduce its clean vehicles onto the market. Unlike electric or hydrogen powered vehicles, MDI vehicles are not expensive and do not have a limited driving range. MDI cars are affordable and have a performance rate that stands up to current standards. To sum it up, they are non-expensive cars that do not pollute and are easy to get around cities in.
http://www.theaircar.com/howitworks.html

digitaldego77
08/31/2005, 11:58 AM
Great info Porky, but don't you get a small feeling like someone out there is keeping this technology from happening? Call it a hunch, but I think maybe a few people might lose money if we stopped using fossil fuels.

porky
08/31/2005, 12:06 PM
I dunno man I'm not really a conspiracy theorist...
I think if there was a better way to push pistons than internal combustion it would be out there, but this sounds like it may someday be an alternative to the internal combustion engine.
Nothing would benefit this country, and the world for that matter, than to develop an alternative to fossil fuels.

digitaldego77
08/31/2005, 12:14 PM
This guy told me he is going to close this thread now....

http://www.christianghirardi.com/images/bandar.jpg

porky
08/31/2005, 12:20 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Aw man that's great!

Sloth
08/31/2005, 12:38 PM
Compressed air sounds nifty. But it says you have to plug the car in for 3 to 5 hours to recharge it. Sooooooo isn't it an electric car? How about cutting out the whole compressed air part and just buying an electric car.

And plugging a car in to charge it up with electricity uses - doodoodeedoo - fossil fuels. ie. coal burning power plants and such. So it doesn't really do the environment much good IMO.

Just do what I do and open your doors on windy days and "sail" down the street. :)

porky
08/31/2005, 12:53 PM
Okay Tim how about running your car on used french fry oil?
http://www.dieselveg.com/conversion%20info.htm

hollback
08/31/2005, 12:57 PM
My dad works for AEP and when I was a senior in high school he brought home an electric car we got to use for 2 months. Yeah, you have to plug it in but not as much as you think. When you let off the "gas" peddle it actually spins a turbine that recharges the battery cells. It was weird to be in the car and not hear it running. It would even beep when you backed up. The coolest part was the acceleration. It is very fast and there is no gears that switch so it was very smooth. It took a little practice to drive. Kind of like a giant RC car.

TacoKing
08/31/2005, 01:02 PM
I've got a friend who uses refined veggy oil in his VW. He gets his oil from chinese resturants, so when ever he goes some place it smells like egg rolls :)

There's actually a guy running for Gov. of Texas, Kinky Friedman. One of his big stances is to convert all of Texas to bio desiel. I'm all for it.

cward
That's it, now I have to lose weight so I get better gas mileage:D

hollback
My ideas to save money...

1. Buy dyed gas.
2. Walk.
3. Bike.
4. Carpool.
5. Use your aquariums skills and siphon it from a neighbor.

TacoKing
08/31/2005, 01:04 PM
Hahah! Number 3... or should that be 5?

digitaldego77
08/31/2005, 01:09 PM
If only we could get a car to run on sarcasm, we would all be hooked up.

:rollface:

porky
08/31/2005, 01:17 PM
I'll add one.
6. Work from home!
Hear that NW!?
If only we could get a car to run on sarcasm, we would all be hooked up.
Yeah you'd be rolling for free :p

Andrew
08/31/2005, 01:59 PM
My dad's car takes $85 to fill up now. lol

ohioreef
08/31/2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
My dad's car takes $85 to fill up now. lol

LOL?!? That's not very funny to me.........

You might not find it so funny when you have to start paying for your own gas!!!!

Andrew
08/31/2005, 03:04 PM
Im laughing at the gas prices.

tabndust
08/31/2005, 03:23 PM
it takes me $70-80 to fill up when its near $2.50

ohioreef
08/31/2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
Im laughing at the gas prices.

It's still NOT funny!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mina_40
08/31/2005, 03:43 PM
My ideas to save money...

1. Buy dyed gas.
2. Walk.
3. Bike.
4. Carpool.
5. Use your aquariums skills and siphon it from a neighbor.

#5...if I did that after all the saltwater i've swallowed siphoning...i'd be...well...sick! lol

tabndust
08/31/2005, 03:43 PM
no not funny at all

thebrian
08/31/2005, 03:57 PM
Glad I bought 2 days ago. I knew it was going to go up because of the hurricane. They should go back down in about 5 days when the oil reserves we tapped Monday or Tuesday make it through the system into gasoline. The price per barrel of oil has already gone down $1/gallon, so there is hope, at least short term. Long term we need to bank more and more on hybrids, electrics, and alternative fuel sources.

~Brian

ohioreef
08/31/2005, 04:03 PM
I really wish Congress would allot more money to advance technologies such as ethanol and bio-diesel. Not only is it renewable but would help out America's farmers as well.

thebrian
08/31/2005, 04:05 PM
The automotive and petroleum companies are lobbying against it though. Big money for them, especially the petroleum companies. Lots of money changing hands under the table to keep us from going to renewable sources of energy.

~Brian

Bcollins111900
08/31/2005, 04:10 PM
Thing is our lovely president (idiot IMO) sits back and reaks mad cash from this whole thing. Yeah he opened the federal oil reserves to help the US, but he is a huge invester in oil, hum, see where I am going with this one, either way he gets rich. Everyone in the US just needs to stay home for one day and gas prices would drop drastically in one day, gurantee it. I give it a week or so and prices will be back down in the $2.50 range (so I hope)....

ohioreef
08/31/2005, 04:11 PM
Ain't that the truth, Brian!! It's those same companies that are going to drive people to bankruptcy and worse. I foresee my Sheriff, in the not too distant future, telling us to stop routine patrolling and just answer calls from the office. How long can he really afford to pay for the gas, at $3+ per gallon, for us to patrol the county?

ohioreef
08/31/2005, 04:12 PM
Problem is, how many of those rigs/refineries are going to be back online within a week? I wouldn't count on very many. Fox News was reporting one drilling rig that had been several miles out at sea had washed ashore!!

zeppelin
08/31/2005, 04:28 PM
When I was a Senior in High School, my government teacher came in one day with a story. His friend had picked up a new Riviera (this was 1980). He had been driving it for a couple weeks, and the gas gauge had barely moved. He thought it was broke, so he went to the gas station to fill up and it only took a couple dollars. He got a letter or call (cant remember which) from GM, and was asked to bring his car into the dealership to be looked at. When he picked it back up he was told they had to change out the carburetor. Said he had a test carb on his car in error. He got about 13 mpg after that. The technology hasd been out there for a long time. The patents just keep being bought up. Maybe this will change things. Hope so. Just glad the new Caddy can run on regular. ;)

Buckeye ME
08/31/2005, 04:41 PM
Man are the conspiracy theorists out today.

Political discussions aren't allowed on RC, and I think it would be best for our club especially that we don't get into that.

The gas crisis has been brewing for years, it's just the average public really didn't realize it.

We are about to pay dearly for it, I believe. Life won't be the same for a while, and nothing the current administration has done or could have done will have much effect on it. It goes way beyond current politics.

AcroSteve
08/31/2005, 05:26 PM
I heard G.W. ordered the hurricane on the internet!

Even used his paypal account.

tabndust
08/31/2005, 05:32 PM
just seen regular unleaded for $3.19 pre for $3.36 on west broad st.

porky
08/31/2005, 06:35 PM
I heard G.W. ordered the hurricane on the internet!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Andrew
08/31/2005, 06:41 PM
Theres a thread in the lounge so my guess is a thread here would be fine. Gas is $3.09 everywhere here.

szwab
08/31/2005, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by digitaldego77

turbo charge it with some aptasia!!

bencozzy
08/31/2005, 08:20 PM
i like that idea!!( i think i have a few of them around somewhere:D )

i can see the inflation on them now, $4/ea.

xdusty6920
08/31/2005, 10:37 PM
lol did anyone just catch that buckeyeme just said man the conspiracy theorist are out and how political discussion isnt aloud on RC. then he went on to talk about this topic and state his own conspiracy theory. sorry to sound like im bashing but i just couldnt help it. good stuff lol

bencozzy
08/31/2005, 10:40 PM
lol this is a very funny thread

Buckeye ME
08/31/2005, 11:06 PM
con·spir·a·cy
1. An agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act.
2. A group of conspirators.
3. An agreement between two or more persons to commit a crime or accomplish a legal purpose through illegal action.
4. A joining or acting together, as if by sinister design: a conspiracy of wind and tide that devastated coastal areas.

I don't see how what I stated is a conspiracy theory, but if you say so. After the football argument with you....well the fact you said OSU lost last year to Kansas State and Miami tells me a lot about your factual knowledge when making claims.

Do a google search for websites concerning "peak oil" and you will have a better understanding. It's not a conspiracy, it's supply and demand.

Buckeye ME
08/31/2005, 11:11 PM
And political discussion refers to the Bush comments. The gasoline situation is not political, at least to people who understand the root causes (not some Bush/oil company conspiracy).

But...if you really want to have this political discussion we can take it to the cora.org forum and have at it.

Thurge
09/01/2005, 03:53 AM
Dipping into the National Reserves isn't going to do much but possibly delay the enevitable, a fuel crisis. There hasn't been an oil refinery built in this county in 30 years, an MOST of the ones we do have are on the coast with the majority of those allong the gulf coast. From what I here on CNN there are currently 8 refineries on the gulf coast that are STARTING to process oil. Some haven't even really been assessed for damage. Ad to that the fact that the refinery workers are in the same situation you see on TV news casts so not all of them will be back on line even if they are all in perfect shape.
The stratigic oil reserve, as I understand it, is just that OIL not gasoline, and with problems with refinement... Its realy not going to help is it? But the Trillions of Dollars spent in the name of "democracy" sure would.
Really want to make it interesting, Port Eads, which is the MAIN hub for most of the gulf oil industry is TRASHED. Its possible that the industry may not be able to repositon/fix the oil rigs in a timely mannor.

And nobody knows what is up with the offshore pipe lines.

My question is who in the international communtiy has made donations for OUR relief?
They were sure quick to complain we didn't donate enough for Tsunami relief.

zaireguy
09/01/2005, 06:43 AM
some one at work said they heard opec say oil prices will not come down till we get our troups out of the middle east.Has anyone else heard this or is it just a rumor?

cward
09/01/2005, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by zeppelin
When I was a Senior in High School, my government teacher came in one day with a story.

Okay, stop right there. You actually believed this? You can't see me right now, but I'm actually rolling on the floor laughing so hard that I'm going to pee my pants:lolspin:

porky
09/01/2005, 01:30 PM
From Snopes.com the Urban Legends website...

Claim: A miraculous car that gets 200 miles to the gallon is reclaimed by the factory and never seen again after its owner calls to congratulate the manufacturers about its fabulous performance.

Origins: This story has been around longer than most of our readers. A version setting it in Philadelphia appeared in a 1948 newspaper. (Even at that time, the story proved unverifiable, with the article's writer identifying it as such and passing it along only as an example of a current rumor sweeping through the community.) Since that early sighting of more than half a century ago, the legend has gone on to enthrall audience after audience as each couple of years sees it pop up anew.

Its origins are as strange as the story itself. Between 1928 and 1935, Charles Nelson Pogue, an inventor from Canada, applied for numerous patents for what he claimed was a new type of carburetor that supposedly completely vaporized gasoline before introducing it to the cylinders, thereby extracting a great deal more energy from the fuel. According to the Pogue patent description, fuel was introduced into the engine in this vaporous "dry" state rather than in the normal droplet-laden "wet" state, thus combining more readily with air, making it burn with far greater efficiency. Better combustion combined with the raising of the engine's operating temperature from 160°F to 180°F were said to be responsible for vastly improved fuel economy

So much for the techno-talk. The Pogue carburetor was touted as getting 200+ miles to the gallon. Glowing reports about this miracle of ingenuity's making a 1,879 mile trip on 14.5 gallons appeared in the May 1936 issue of Canadian Automotive Trade magazine, reports which Pogue later denied. A manager of a Winnipeg auto dealership claimed he had driven a Pogue-equipped car 217 miles on a gallon of gasoline. A different dealer principal claimed to have driven 26 miles on a pint of fuel.

The story snowballed onward from those breathless testimonials as one rumor quickly followed on the heels of another. Thieves were reputed to have broken into Pogue's shop and made off with three of his carburetors. There was talk of armed guards and wolfhounds guarding the shop and the now-famous inventor. Wealthy backers (from Winnipeg or Toronto, depending on whom you heard the story from) were rumored to be bankrolling Pogue, but the arrangements mysteriously fell through. Ford of Canada was said to have bought the invention outright. All in all it was a very exciting time.

Alas, one can get by on mere smoke and mirrors for only so long. Those with sense enough to not be deafened by the hyperbole were not long kept at bay with tales of wolfhounds, thieves, and mysterious briefcase-toting moneymen. They wanted to see the carburetor.

That, of course, was never permitted.

No one reputable was allowed to see the mechanical miracle in action, let alone have a chance to measure its results. After the initial excitement over Pogue's 1936 announcement had faded, more serious types began to openly doubt that the carburetor would work as described. In the December 1936 issue of Automotive Industries magazine, its engineering editor, P.M. Heldt, said of a sketch of the Pogue carburetor: "The sketch fails to show any features hitherto unknown in carburetor practice, and absolutely gives no warrant for crediting the remarkable results claimed." Other journalists were beginning to voice similar opinions.

In response to calls to put up or shut up, Pogue's miracle carburetor was heard of no more. Faced with the choice of believing someone had made claims his invention couldn't later live up to or that a monied bad guy had bought up a technology to forever keep it off the market, at least some chose to believe the suppression theory. That the carburetor never made it to the public, they said, was proof enough of its existence.

Those 1930s news stories breathlessly trumpeting Pogue's miracle of technology form the basis of the economical carburetor legend now before us. As gas prices fluctuate, our dependence on fossil fuels is driven home time and again. Who wouldn't long for a miracle of engineering that would free us from the tyranny of the gas pump? And thus the groundwork for belief is laid.

As sometimes happens in the world of urban legends, desire for something to be true transforms a rumor into certainty that this very thing is fact. Over the years, our legend about a 200 mpg car has bobbed to the surface in community after community, been debunked in numerous respected publications, and bobbed right back up in the wake of those debunkings. The need to believe in this wondrous technology and the evil car manufacturers who are deliberately withholding it from the market appears too strong to combat.

A bit of rational thought should be all that's needed to lay this legend to rest. Why would the car manufacturers at all care about keeping such a technological advance away from consumers? Unlike the petroleum companies, they've no vested interest in how much fuel a car uses. An automaker's self interest is best served by getting the newest irresistible technology to the consumer before his competitors do. If any one of them possessed the secret of the 200 mpg car, he'd have rushed it into production, hoping to beat his competitors to the punch.

Those who are tempted to believe the Evil Government is responsible for keeping this miracle out of our hands should reflect for a moment on the current state of world politics. The government of the United States would like nothing better than to throw off the yoke of dependence upon foreign oil. A miraculous carburetor would grant that freedom, allowing Americans to continue to enjoy current levels of use without the need to go hat in hand to OPEC or even those dastardly Canadians. The domestic supply would be more than enough.

Though rarely is this tale told about anything other than a gas-miserly carburetor, this version describes a miraculous lightbulb:
[Smith, 1983]

It was around 1920, shortly after he had married, when the old man originally purchased the light bulb from a small store in town. It appeared to be a normal light bulb. However, when after sixty years it was still going strong, he decided to write to the manufacturers and tell them of this remarkable phenomenon.

By return a reply came from the company indicating that they were very interested in the bulb and would like to send someone to see it. Eventually, one of the directors of the firm called and, instead of just showing interest, offered to buy it for £1,000.

The old man, of course, refused, as the light bulb had given him good service. However, his curiousity was certainly aroused — why so much money for his light bulb? The director could provide no plausible explanation as to why they were willing to offer so much for the bulb, so the old man decided to explore this mystery further.

With the help of a solicitor friend he did a little investigating and discovered that in the 1920s this particular light-bulb manufacturer had bought and tested the patent for an everlasting bulb. Only a few of these bulbs were made and the company, finding the invention worked, destroyed the bulbs and suppressed the idea — after all, it would have put them out of business. Unknown to the company one of the lights had accidentally become mixed up with a batch of ordinary bulbs and this was the light bulb which had lit the old man's kitchen for the past sixty years.
(Sometimes lore collides with reality: A long-lived light bulb has been burning since 1901 and currently lights a fire station in Livermore, California.)

Barbara "gasoline allied" Mikkelson

hollback
09/01/2005, 01:58 PM
Great reading Porky! I think the Everlasting Gobstopper fits in this category.

digitaldego77
09/01/2005, 02:01 PM
A little lite reading there, Porky.

zeppelin
09/01/2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by cward
Okay, stop right there. You actually believed this? You can't see me right now, but I'm actually rolling on the floor laughing so hard that I'm going to pee my pants:lolspin:

Seemed pretty believable, yes. He didn't drive it allot, distance wise, but I'd bet it was getting close to 60+ mpg. And that was on a 1980 Riviera, which was a pretty big car. We heard allot in industrial tech too about new carburetor/manifold designs that had patents, but just dropped out of site.

Glad I could make your afternoon though. ;) You can get up now.

Buckeye ME
09/01/2005, 02:31 PM
I've heard a lot about flying bicycles that run on grass clippings, but those patents disappeared as well.

I believe it.

porky
09/01/2005, 02:33 PM
It's actually a pretty fast read and very interesting too...

szwab
09/01/2005, 03:01 PM
gotta love snopes!!!

Zep i think the least you owe Chris is some new underwear!!

zeppelin
09/01/2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by szwab

Zep i think the least you owe Chris is some new underwear!!

I made a quick pair out of some dried algae sheets. Oh wait.....they are dried grass clippings.

cward
09/01/2005, 03:11 PM
Hey, I might like that. Kinda natural feeling.....lol

ohioreef
09/01/2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Thurge
[BMy question is who in the international communtiy has made donations for OUR relief?
They were sure quick to complain we didn't donate enough for Tsunami relief. [/B]

My wife and I were talking about that the other day. I've not heard one single news story about anyone donating aid to us. I think it's about time that we stop rescuing the rest of the world and worry about ourselves!!

tabndust
09/01/2005, 03:34 PM
i agree ohioreefer

thebrian
09/01/2005, 04:39 PM
Amen to that. Why isn't the world sending relief to us?

zeppelin
09/01/2005, 04:53 PM
Ya, thats pretty sad. Couldn't be that a decent sized portion of the world doesn't think allot of the US. Oh, there I go with another conspiracy theory. Sorry 'bout that. ;)

Why dont we just re-direct some of that aid we have sitting in Iraq for the Iraqi people back home to our own. Before we put food in someone elses kitchen, we should make sure our own kitchens are full. :)

Buckeye ME
09/01/2005, 05:09 PM
As the bum on high street says...help is on the way. At this piont 24 nations have offered assistance.

zeppelin
09/01/2005, 05:12 PM
Thats good to hear. Hope they come through.

AcroSteve
09/01/2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by ohioreefer
My wife and I were talking about that the other day. I've not heard one single news story about anyone donating aid to us. I think it's about time that we stop rescuing the rest of the world and worry about ourselves!!

Not that I agree with it, but... If they needed our aid in the 1st place, can they rally afford to give US aid in return?

xdusty6920
09/01/2005, 05:41 PM
man your always so tightly wound buckeye. i said i was wrong about the miami thing along time ago and admitted it. you claimed that 2 players were above and beyond any ncaa player and ted ginn was one of them. you also claimed that ginn was this phenominal track athlete one of the best out there, yet he's not even on his schools track team. we both were rambling biast things and although you go to osu i forgive you lol. btw, on a side note..........i cant believe that guy is still shouting that help is on the way thing lol. i last saw him up there about 2 years ago lol

ohioreef
09/01/2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye ME
At this piont 24 nations have offered assistance.

I stand corrected then, I haven't been watching much TV so I hadn't heard that.

I am glad to hear that other countries are willing to assist us.

Bcollins111900
09/01/2005, 08:06 PM
Thats good to hear other nations are willing to help. I dontated $10 bucks today to the American Red Cross through work (Lowes) because they will match all donations up to a Million dollars which they end up donating more everytime.

Thurge
09/02/2005, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by ohioreefer

Point but even a minute token donation from them would be appreciated kind of a " we know how you feel and while we have our problems still ongoing here is a little back at you as we are past the 'dire' stage".

How many of those 24 are outside Europe?
Sorry but the "thats not enough Tsunami relief" still burns me.

Thurge
09/02/2005, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye ME
As the bum on high street says...help is on the way. At this piont 24 nations have offered assistance.

Can you post up an article on that. It would go a long way to making me feel better about the world in general.
Thanks

Buckeye ME
09/02/2005, 07:41 AM
Pacific nations:
http://newsfromrussia.com/world/2005/09/02/62172.html

General:
http://www9.sbs.com.au/theworldnews/region.php?id=119609&region=4

thebrian
09/02/2005, 03:29 PM
That's good to hear. I always did like the Australians.

prance1520
09/02/2005, 03:57 PM
Don't like to poke my nose in, but I'll add my knowledge where it applies. I'm on the OSU track team. Teddy has expressed interest in coming out, but with spring football and such, it makes it tough. He was extremely good in high school, one of the best in the country, although the claims he might go to the olympics for the US was a little off base. To be honest, football training ruins track athletes, and he probably wouldn't help us out now as much as he would have coming out of high school. Why he picked that silly game of football over the glory of American track and field is beyond me, but to each his own, :rollface:

Buckeye ME
09/02/2005, 04:24 PM
Some people aren't in it for the fame of US T&F though ;)

xdusty thinks Ginn wouldn't make it on the track team, he doesn't believe Ginn is choosing that route. It just baffles me, his thought process.