PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a group of damsels?

tuan
08/31/2005, 12:20 AM
I'm currently having 120G ( 4'x2'x2') tank and I want to add about 4 more yellowtail damsels but I heard that damsels are evil so I need your opinion.

Here is what I have so far in the tank(No tang police please):
one yellow tank ~ 3"
one flame angel ~ 2.5"
pair of Ocellaris Clownfish ~ 2"
and one yellow watchman goby.

Appreciate it for all of your opinions.

Blown 346
08/31/2005, 01:23 AM
The tang will be fine in that big of a tank. I would not get any type of damsel just for the reason that they get very aggressive, and when you want them out which everyone does at one point be prepared to disassemble your tank to get them. I would get a school of green Chromis, they are very cool to watch. I would go for like 6.

Harville
08/31/2005, 02:32 AM
I Think You would probably be O.K. with adding the damsels...

You sound like you already know about their horrible rep. They have it because they are so territorial, It's really bad when they are the first fish in the tank.

But since the tank is already running with established fish. And the tank is probably large enough for your fish to have their own territory.... I would say that you should (maybe) be O.K.
I'm sure other people have done it.
I personally wouldn't do it though.
But good luck.

kau_cinta_ku
08/31/2005, 03:10 AM
the yellow tailed damsels are the most relaxed of them all IMO heck when i fisrt started i had 1 perc. and 1 yellowtail damsel and it got to the point where it seemed that they were a pair they wouldn't leave each other's side:p but i agree sence you already have fish in your tank and it is a 120 gal. you should be fine with them. the prob. usually comes as said is when they are the first in the tank

LTJGAlex
08/31/2005, 07:34 AM
Ultimately it's hit or miss with damsels. I'd also recommend a school of chromis instead. They really school, damsels just dart around chaotically and get angry at everyone :-).

tuan
08/31/2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks for all of your opions. To be save I will go with green chromis.

jimbo045
09/01/2005, 12:54 PM
I would stay away from Damsels. If you have to get I would get the Black and White Striped ones. They seem the peacefulest. I prefer: Spotted Mandarine. Blue Tang. 4-Line Wrasse.No more Angels or Clowns, because it is safer with just one. JD

gonefishy
09/01/2005, 08:56 PM
i've had no problems with the yellow tail damsels. i would stay away from the domino damsels though they get a little bigger and are bullys. green chromis are cool i have 3 and school together and are peiceful.