PDA

View Full Version : Need snails...

Teddy Ballgame
08/30/2005, 08:32 PM
and am having a nutrient problem...ph is low at 7.8...corals are dead or dying and am doing water changes but to no avail. I need help please!

thebrian
08/30/2005, 08:58 PM
Have you been buffering your PH at all? If not, it's probably necessary.

~Brian

szwab
08/30/2005, 09:27 PM
have you done some water tests? what are your parameters. that's where I'd start. Buffering the water and doing larger water changes rathere than frequent small ones will help dilute your water more efficiently.

Underwaterrealms
09/01/2005, 02:13 AM
There are several reasons as to why you could be having nutrient problems and your corals are dying.

One thing could be phosphates or nitrates. If you are not using R.O. water or your R.O. unit is not functioning properly this could be a problem. You could be adding more contaminantes than you are removing.

If you are using a Calcium reactor a 7.8 ph is not a real problem but 7.9 and higher would be better, as long as the buffering capacity of your system is monitored so as to prevent a crash. I recommend using kent dkh superbuffer to help stabilize your ph. Also if you are running a reactor what is the ph of your effluent, if the ph is too low and you are not aerating the water sufficiently bubble off the excess CO2 you will be creating conditions that will cause algae growth, low ph and dying corals. My tanks run at a ph of 7.9 constantly but I diligently monitor the Alkalinity.

The last thing I can think of is a temperature spike, if your tank was above 85 degrees for too long a period this could cause death in corals thereby releasing nutrients and also causing algae growth.

Chuck

Teddy Ballgame
09/01/2005, 08:12 AM
My effluent is at 6.7, but I don't aerate. I do have a lot of algae and hence need the snails, crabs... My stonies are all but dead and my softies won't open up. Fish are healthy though. I buffer with kent, but haven't measured alk in a while.