PDA

View Full Version : Silicone Help!!!

PBSnip3r
08/30/2005, 12:51 PM
i just got silicone for my tank but im not sure how to put it on. what are the steps needed to take. do i take the olde silicone off or put the new one on top of the old one. i dont know what to do. can u explain each step to me from top to bottom? thanks

Warnberg
08/30/2005, 01:31 PM
Personally I would remove the old silicone and clean the tank before resealing the tank. Let the silicone dry completely after resealing the tank and remove the excess silicone (it always gets everywhere no matter how careful you are).

JMO

mr_alberta
08/30/2005, 01:35 PM
1) Remove old silicone
2) Scrape silicone residue off of glass with razor blades
3) Wipe down edges with vinegar and a paper towel
4) Place bead of silicone along one edge of glass
5) Squish the panes of glass together until silicone oozes out from either side from between each pane of glass
6) Smooth out excess silicone with a damp finger
7) Tape panes of glass together with fiber tape and wait 24 hours for silicone to partially cure
8) Remove tape and clean up any excess silicone
9) Wait 7 days before filling tank

HTH

Reeforbust
08/30/2005, 01:36 PM
Yeah........Scrape the old silicone off and clean all the areas with rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol.

Run a steady and continuous bead of silicone in each corner and smooth out with your finger or a spoon, whatever works.

Reeforbust
08/30/2005, 01:37 PM
I think hes just resealing a tank.....Not building one??

PBSnip3r
08/30/2005, 02:17 PM
im resealing my tank. a little bit of it is coming of so i wanna reseal it. its only the corner thats coming off so should i put silicone on the whole edge or just the corner.

Reeforbust
08/30/2005, 02:28 PM
Well..........If its an older tank and the silicone is coming off in one place, it will probably start coming off all over.

I would re-seal the whole tank.
Remove all the old stuff and go back with new, that way you'll know for sure it will not leak once you get it set up and full of water!!