PDA

View Full Version : my hippopus was attacked by a bristle worm last night

bencozzy
08/30/2005, 11:20 AM
here is a link to my thread already in the clams forum, it has pics in it.( http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=659823 )

any info on how to help it recover would be appreciated.

thanks

digitaldego77
08/30/2005, 11:23 AM
I would agree with the feedback you got in that thread -- the clam was already dying from another issue -- your worm was just cleaning up.

porky
08/30/2005, 11:25 AM
I agree 100%!
Bristle worms are scavengers and don't "attack" anything.
If the worm was eating a part of your clam, it is safe to say that clam was in trouble :(

bencozzy
08/30/2005, 11:32 AM
i think ill do a small water change and give it a few days to see if it improves any.

hollback
08/30/2005, 12:10 PM
If a bristle worm was seen eating your clam, I would say it's well on it's way to Davey Jones' Locker. I doubt there is much to be done to save it. I am willing to bet that you have high nitrates with that much algae and no skimmer. Clams need excellent water quality. I just lost a clam of mine a few days ago and saw a 12" bristle cleaning the dead clam out.

hollback
08/30/2005, 12:12 PM
Follow Up:

Looking back at your pictures I see that you have added some new clams. Another reason could be pyramid snails brought in on a new clam. :(

digitaldego77
08/30/2005, 01:04 PM
let the paranoia begin......

hollback
08/30/2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by digitaldego77
let the paranoia begin......

Got that right!

Reefbone
08/30/2005, 03:36 PM
By the looks of it, your tank is already for your aptasia culture :p

bencozzy
08/30/2005, 05:34 PM
i think it might of been high nitrates i forgot i put a cartrigde in the penguin and im sure its been in there for a few weeks.

update-ive done a 3g water change and added a bag of purigen, the clam is reacting more but looks the same

reefbone-im setting up a 55g for aiptasia and nudi culture, and i will add a pair to the 10g, may the predation begin:lol:

bencozzy
08/30/2005, 05:45 PM
i got the clams from phishy and i havent noticed any pyramid snails, im usually up for a few hours after the lights go out watching everything.

so i just have to wait it out and see what happens, i just dont want to lose this clam ive grown attached to it.:(

CaveManNOhio
08/30/2005, 10:15 PM
Sorry to hear about your clam trouble. I hope he pulls through for you.
I have never seen any of my bristles mess with any thing healthy. But when my one clam died, the buffet was on and it didn't take long for them to pick it clean.

bencozzy
08/30/2005, 10:31 PM
the clam died, it didnt have a chance.

thebrian
08/31/2005, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by bencozzy
my hippopus was attacked by a bristle worm last night

LOL...I just glanced at the subject line, and thought...hippopus...is that some kind of Octopus that looks like a hippo or something... I know what you meant, but it was too funny to pass up. Reminds me of Jordan's avatar of an elephapus.

bencozzy
09/01/2005, 10:03 AM
ok just tested ph(8.4 before lights came on),ALK(180ppm=3.6meq/l), and CA(320ppm)

and cavemans going to tesy my ammonia nitrites and nitrates for me later today, so ill post them when i find out.

CaveManNOhio
09/01/2005, 10:12 AM
CaveMan is going to send him home when he's ready with 30 gl. of clean water.

bencozzy
09/01/2005, 10:21 AM
yes thats true im thinking the tap water might have high nutrients making it accumulate in the 10g and 20g. im sure if i had my poly filters this wouldnt of happened just something i didnt expect, we live and learn i guess.

oh and thanks to caveman for the water and testing for me

hollback
09/01/2005, 10:42 AM
If you are using tap water there is nothing that will filter your water even poly filters. That explains the algae. Rmember that Columbus tap water contains many metals like copper, mercury and arsonic. I am suprised your tanks have lasted as long as they have.

Only way to go... RO/DI!!!

CaveManNOhio
09/01/2005, 10:44 AM
No problem on both. Glad to help any way I can. I'm just hoping my tank is satisfactory to you. Ever since the big crash it's been more like my sad little project. But every thing but the corals that did hold on long enough are well on their way to recovery. Since my crash was due to high temp. 97+ for about 2 weeks straight. Got chiller, temps no problem any more. Before the heat wave my chemicals were looking good for some time. Doing monthly 50gl. water changes.

CaveManNOhio
09/01/2005, 10:46 AM
I use a 6 stage RO/DI and have my water tested regulary. I've been real happy with the system so far.

hollback
09/01/2005, 10:50 AM
My comment was directed at bencozzy. Running a reef tank with tap water is like flushing money down the toilet but you're right live and learn. :)

CaveManNOhio
09/01/2005, 10:53 AM
Oh I know. Mine were illustrating how I wasn't having any problems until the heat wave, then at that point doesn't matter how good or water is. Good hot water sucked.

bencozzy
09/01/2005, 07:31 PM
i got some ro/di water from caveman and used it today during the cleaning so ill see how it goes probably get another bucket or 2 later on.

ph was at 8.0 wheni went to brians at 1pm, ammonia was <0.25 wasnt a perfect 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate 0

thanks

P.S. i think a ro/di purification system will be my next big spending, now i just need a job?!

bencozzy
09/05/2005, 10:20 AM
well i have bad news i found a pyramid snail first one ive ever seen in my tanks.

the lights had been on for about a hr then i fed the tank when i came back(~5 min. later) i noticed it on the front glass, not on the clams.

so what should i do?? i could move them if you think it would help.

also i saw a copepod eating flatworm(i was wondering were all my copepods disappeared too) and i IDed the isopods i have munnid isopods.

TIA