PDA

View Full Version : how much?

PBSnip3r
08/30/2005, 12:28 AM
i am planning to buy base rock from reefer rocks. i have a 26 gallon tank. how many pounds of rock will i be needing?

staticfishmonger
08/30/2005, 12:42 AM
generally 1-2lbs per gallon of water is a good place to start. however if you will also be adding LR to seed the base, which is recomended i would advise getting as much live rock as you can afford then get whatever else is needed to make the 1-2lbs area in the base.

Dazed And Confused
08/30/2005, 07:45 AM
It'll take less ReeferRocks that most others since it's so porous. I ended up with right at 1lb per gallon and it's perfect, IMHO. Cap'n Jer will work with you on sizes and shapes - great choice! By the way, I got my live rock from them as well and it's made from the same rock, lots of life, great shapes. It gets to you much faster than most live rock because it doesn't set around in boxes at all - you'll have it 2 days after it's out of the water. Mine didn't have much die off at all, never got really stinky and cycled in about a week. I have a new camera on it's way and hopefully will be posting pics soon. HTH

Jamesurq
08/30/2005, 07:49 AM
It's all personal choice. I like a more sparse look in tanks as well as a full tank that appears as a closeup view of a reefwall.

Either way can be beautiful if executed well.

I would start by ordering a 20 or so pound order and then grabbing some choice liverock locally.

With a primarily baserock system, you'll want to load up on your diversity (assuming you're using a sandbed) through local sandtrades with your local club to get the sandbed active.