PDA

View Full Version : ASM Skimmer noise

Oskie
08/29/2005, 09:14 PM
I live in a home where any noise is immediately noticed and disapproved of. Well maybe it’s not that bad but noises tend to drive my wife a bit crazier than she already is. My ASM G1x (3500 pump) does hum quite loudly (no doubt the continuous hum is contributing to the insanity) and I wondered what others have done to lessen the noise.

The current set-up is with the ASM in a plastic sump located in a cabinet under the tank (65-gallon). The tank pump is a Velocity T2 which is very quiet. I have both the recirc and gate valve mods in place.

Any suggestions out there? Thanks

Oskie

bpd964
08/29/2005, 09:21 PM
i have a hum hating wife also because of my G4. I haven't found a solution yet either.

rdmpe
08/29/2005, 09:29 PM
Maybe lining the inside of the stand with some of that eggcrate shaped foam would help? Maybe you can find it at fabric stores...

chadfarmer
08/29/2005, 09:53 PM
i have the asm upgrade euroreef (but my sedra doesnt make any noise even from day 1

mine is in a glass tank

is the pump trying to lift off the bottom causing the hum or is it just vibration

Oskie
08/30/2005, 11:56 AM
It's a vibration hum and unfortunately resonates throughout the nice birch cabinet the tank sits on. I've tried some fairly dense foam under the Sedra but it doesn't seem to help much. What do folks find to be the best sound deadening product to use onder pumps and sumps?

Steve