PDA

View Full Version : Dissapointed with Remora Pro.

SirLight1337
08/29/2005, 10:48 AM
A few months ago i got the go ahead to purchase a new remora Pro with overflow box for my companys 100gal display tank in our lobby.

Needless to say this thing is loud as all hell, and hardly does its job skimming. Ive got the collection cup all the way down to its lowest point, and i still cant get a wet skim of any kind. I just pulled the mag drive off and cleaned the impeller, as well as the injection nozzle with the supplied brush. Still the same performance issue, and still a loud *** hissing sound as well as it sounding like there is a bag of rocks in the pump. I was under the impression these were good skimmers.

Anyone have any modification sugestions ? or is this thing doomed to be a loud POS ?

Drewpy
08/29/2005, 10:55 AM
contact the manufacturer... They have notoriously good customer service. Mine works well and is no louder then any other skimmer i have seen. May seem louder just b/c they hang on the back of the tank and are not muffled by being under a cabinet in the sump.

Fatboy
08/29/2005, 01:30 PM
Actually, AquaC considers the use of some bigger pumps in the Remora Pro and Urchin Pro to get a better performance.

Some quotes from Christine (by the way, great customer service):

"Some people do like to use more powerful pumps with the Remora Pro and this can lead to an increase in performance. We generally recommend using the Mag Drive 5 as an upgraded pump and this usually works really well for customers."

"Some customers do use the Mag Drive 7 with good results. This will not hurt the skimmer but you may get a great amount of watery foam which would be too much for the standard cup that comes with the skimmer to handle. We do offer a high rise collection cup for customers who use the Mag Drive 7 or an equally powerful pump."

"The total height of the high rise collection cup, including the riser tube, is 8" and the height of the cup itself is 5-3/4". There is a 30% increase when using the Mag Drive 7 compared to using the Mag Drive 5 and there is a 30% increase when using the Mag Drive 5 compared to using the Mag Drive 3. We can send you the high rise collection cup direct and it is $24.00 without the drain or $29.00 with the drain. "

"You can still use the high rise cup, just not the one with the drain fitting. The high rise collection cup is 2" taller than the standard cup so the total height would be 24" with the cup in the lowest position and 26" with the cup in the highest position."

SirLight1337
08/29/2005, 04:04 PM
So the origional purchase price of the skimmer ( 300 somethin with mag drive and overflow box ) just wasnt good enough eah ? I gotta go spend another 50-60 bucks to get the performace needed ? jesus.

Fatboy
08/29/2005, 04:14 PM
SirLight1337,

To be honest....... for your size of tank I would have never chosen that skimmer.

Can you sell it and buy something else ? There are many skimmers that are much more efficient than the AquaC and their price difference is not that big. Have you thought about ASM or Coralife ? They are cheap and good performers......

If you ask me, I would not invest in a new pump...... but rather sell it and buy something more efficient.

chadfarmer
08/29/2005, 05:23 PM
sell it

i hear this problem all the time with this skimmer

MikeA
08/29/2005, 06:47 PM
chadfarmer - I've read this forum for about a month now and was under the impression that the Remora was a very good skimmer.

If it's not what would you recommend for a 65g and why?

chadfarmer
08/29/2005, 08:25 PM
HOB or INsump

hob deltec- great skimmer or coralife 65 (if it were a 55 gal i would say bakpak- had one it worked better then the remora that i spent 200 for and the bakpak was using the origianl rio and was used) remora tea colored water bakpak tea water but in the bottom of the cub was nasty black stuff)

looking to get a coralife for myself a freind of mine has one and loves it

insump euroreef asm geo

why get a hob skimmer anyways (put in a sump and get a needlewheel skimmer very impressed with the out put of all them)

i see people that buy a hob skimmer and try to rtrofit it into a sump

Reef This
08/29/2005, 11:06 PM
I've had 0, and I repeat, zero problems with my remora. I have a very low bioload in my 55g reef, as I only have 2 maroon clowns (They don't let anything else IN the tank!) and a Royal Gramma. I never had problems with the cup collecting the proper "context" of foam on adjustment, and when it's skimming and working properly, it's not any louder then any other HOB skimmer, much less a Bakpak. (Yes, I've had 2 Bakpaks, and I can direct you with pictures of one where a seal broke inside leaking all over a wall, and thank god for a GFCI outlets - and another that I had for 4 months, and emptied the collection cup a total of 7 times.. Bakpak? Hardly)

I'd contact AquaC and work it out with them. The Remora when working properly really is a great skimmer, and as efficent as anything else you will find for HOB. I use a SCWD with less then 1/2" of sand, no refugium anymore, nothing but live rock, flow and the Remora. Undetectable nitrates, near undeatectable phosphates, for almost 18 months since it was purchased.

It does work, and works well.

Zoalander
08/30/2005, 12:12 AM
I have thw HOB Remora with the Maxijett 1200 on a 42 gallon tank. It skimmed great for 2 weeks and all I'm getting now is light tea colored skimmate and still a buunch of bubbles. This is 6 months later btw. I'm picking up a coralife needle wheel from a fellow reefer and probably going to play baseball with the remora.

G.reef
08/30/2005, 12:56 AM
My Remora Pro has been on my 90 tank since December 2003 and it has worked for me without any problems. I did recieve a collection cup that did not fit and a piece had to be shaved off using a dremel. My only problem now is I have Remora Pro insecurities from reading a lot of complaints about their units.

I do have an H&S skimmer waiting to be used in my new sump and the Remora goes to my FOWLR set up.:rollface:

SirLight1337
08/30/2005, 11:51 AM
This remora Pro Unit is on my 100gal display at my office. has 5 damsels, 1 large tomato clown, 2 O clowns. They eat very well, and **** a whole bunch. The tank is pretty stocked if you were to look at it. These arent just any damsels, these suckers are the same ones i had in my tank almost 9 months ago and have trippled in size. I guess ill have to convice them to remove the damsels and also upgrade to a CSS125 like the unit im running at home, or better yet the CSS220.

The coralife skimmers are awesome ( CSS ) They are also dead silent compared to this monstrosity. Not to mention the skimmer box takes up a whole corner of my tank. Im not saying AquaC has the worst product, but from my experience the Remora Pro is a very bad buy. Maybe the normal Remora is fine for small 55-65G tanks, but the Pro sucks.