PDA

View Full Version : SPS Losing Color

cj_basser
08/28/2005, 10:07 AM
Hey,

I have a few SPS that are slowly losing their color. THey are also losing thier tissue, but only at the tips of the coral. I am running a 175w 20k XM MH, on a 20g long tank.

Do any of you guys know what is going on with my SPS?

THanks,
CJ

bencozzy
08/28/2005, 10:17 AM
if im remembering correctly form the mike palletta meeting, he said to much direct flow can cause it(tissue loss), phosphates to high(affect tissue)/nutrients to high(affect color)

any body else pls correct me if im wrong

HTH
ben

szwab
08/28/2005, 10:54 AM
what are your water parameters? That is much needed info to start with.

hollback
08/28/2005, 10:59 AM
With no other info I am willing to bet it is heat related. SPS need stability and in a 20 gallon tank it takes a lot to keep everything stable.

cj_basser
08/28/2005, 04:18 PM
I have been dosing BIonic every night, 15 mL, so I am pretty sure my ALK and Ca are stable. I guees a watrer changhe might be helpful, too.

I do have one of those bad crabs that eats SPS. I have been trying to get it evey niogth when it comes out, but i have had no luck. It is huge......the size of a 50 cent peice, so when i grabbed its leg, it just pulled right off.

thebrian
08/28/2005, 04:43 PM
You could try trapping the crab. Put a glass or something slick that it can't get out of with some food in it a place where it will be able to get in, not out, preferably near the crab. If it doesn't work right away, it should work in a few days.

~Brian